ATV won't ask for a password

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by macdawg37, Nov 22, 2014.

1. macdawg37, Nov 22, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 22, 2014

macdawg37 macrumors newbie

hello everyone. I have an ATV at my work place. It works fine if I set up a "cheater router" but the big boss wants me to figure a way to set it up using the password protected wifi. The problem is that the ATV will not ask for a password. The ATV just states the it has successfully connected. But, when i use it, it doesn't load the apps. What can i do to get the ATV to ask for password? Its perplexing that my company sells the ATV but does not have anyone who can actually hook it up so it works. Im not a professional at tech stuff, but if anyone has a suggestion of what to do, i would truly appreciate a push in the correct direction. Thanks.

And it is a ATV 3

2. chabig macrumors 68040

Connect the AppleTV to iTunes with a micro USB cable and restore it to factory settings. That'll probably fix it.

3. DaveN macrumors 6502a

DaveN

Change the network it looks to do some other network. Then change it back to the network you really desire. By doing so you will be forcing a new password... unless the ATV remembers old networks which I think it does.

If you can without upsetting other users too much, can you change the network password on the router, then reboot your ATV. The password will now be wrong, your ATV won't be able to join the network, and the ATV will ask for a password. Then you can change the network password back to the original password, restart your ATV and the ATV will then ask for a password. If you do this after hours, the rest of the office will never even notice.

All that said, isn't their an option on ATV to reset the ATV?

4. macdawg37 thread starter macrumors newbie

I have reset the ATV. It will not ask for a password still. I'll try plugging it in with a micro USB. Maybe it will work. If that doesn't work I'll try the router idea. Thanks for the responses.

5. waw74 macrumors 68030

is there a password on the wi-fi network?
    or do you get a log-in page in your web-browser like you would see in a hotel?

if it's the second, you won't be able to access it, since the appleTV doesn't have a browser.
    the only way would be to talk to your IT department, and get them to "white list the MAC address" of the apple TV.

---
    if they can't do that, you may be able to do it by spoofing the MAC address with a computer.
    1. write down the MAC address of the aTV and computer.
    2. unplug the aTV
    3. set your computer up with the mac address of the aTV and have it join the wifi.
    4. log in to the wifi
    5. on your computer turn off the wifi and re-set the MAC address to the computer's default
    6. plug the aTV
    7. ????
    8. profit

make sure you re-set the MAC of your computer, having 2 devices with the same MAC on a network would cause problems.