ATV2 a brick after trying to install IOS5

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by wolfpackfan, Oct 16, 2011.

1. wolfpackfan macrumors 68000

I tried to update my ATV2 this morning to the latest IOS and it says it downloaded and then said it was updating and to not turn it off. At some point, the screen went crazy and the ATV2 light starting blinking. Now it will not boot or anything. When I unplug and plug back in, all I get is the blinking light. Any suggestions as to what I can do or is it just dead?

2. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

There is no iOS 5 for the ATV2, just a 4.4 update. Google DFU ATV2 restore and you should be good to go. *You'll need a micro-USB to USB cable.

3. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

It isn't bricked. Restore it via iTunes.

But its an iOS 5 system and shows up as 4.4 in the Apple TV settings menu.

4. wolfpackfan thread starter macrumors 68000

I don't have a cable, so I think I'll just take it into my Apple store. I am concerned why it happened. All I did was an update.

5. swindmill macrumors 6502a

swindmill

This happened to me twice. I didn't have the appropriate micro USB cable, so I went to the Apple store and they simply opened up a new one and handed me the new ATV (the store was swamped). I took the new one home, plugged it in and updated with the same result. I'm just going to go buy a micro usb cable now. My other ATV2 updated without issue.