Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

phonewentwest

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 11, 2008
My Tv only has 2 HDMi ports and I've now got the ATV2, PS3 and Comcrap cable box. I was looking at possibly getting an HDMI switch but searching around the web it seems theres possibilities of that not working that easily (with ATV2) for various reasons. So I'm thinking of replacing my ancient receiver for one with multiple HDMI ports. So my question is does the ATV2 play nicer when hooking up through receiver as opposed to HDMI switch? Any receivers recommended. Any good HDMI switch recommended for that matter.

Thanks for any suggestions.

DaREdBaRoN

macrumors member
Jan 9, 2009
Illinois
My ATV2 looks much better through my Yamaha RX-A800. Yamaha and Pioneer make great receivers, Denon is alright. I got mine at Best buy in the magnolia area

Uofmtiger

macrumors 68020
Dec 11, 2010
Memphis
My ATV2 looks much better through my Yamaha RX-A800. Yamaha and Pioneer make great receivers, Denon is alright.
I prefer Denon to Yamaha, but that is obviously a personal choice. Not sure how they compare at the price point of the RX-A800, though. I usually buy receivers in the $1000-1500 range. In that price range, Onkyo is the name that pops up the most often in comparisons.

You may want to look at Monoprice for a switch. I have never tried one with the ATV, but I used one for a while in my system before I got an HDMI receiver and it worked with all the stuff I had at the time.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.