Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sdsvtdriver

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 31, 2008
Southern California
Clearly I'm slow here. What is the easiest way to view youtube videos via ATV that I have found browsing the internet on my MBP? When friends come over, I want to show videos on my TV, not on my computer. Sees like this should be easy enough but I got frustrated last night attempting this seemly simple task.

I have links directly to the video.
The MBP doesn't airplay the video to the ATV.
ATV search sucks, even using an iPhone. The results are less than stellar.
I login to youtube on MBP and ATV2. Add as a favorite on MBP, no favorites on ATV2 show up. :mad:

I can play the video on my iPad and hit the airplay button, but I have to get the link TO the iPad. Emailing the link to myself to view on the iPad is not exactly what I would call an acceptable solution.

With an MBP, iPhone, iPad, and ATV2, this should not be as hard as it is. I must be missing something.

blueroom

macrumors 603
Feb 15, 2009
Toronto, Canada
Why not use use the ATV's built in YouTube? Use the Remote app and it works pretty nice.

Edit you're right the ATV's YouTube client isn't really up to snuff.

sdsvtdriver

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 31, 2008
Southern California
Why not use use the ATV's built in YouTube? Use the Remote app and it works pretty nice.

Edit you're right the ATV's YouTube client isn't really up to snuff.

The search sucks.

If I have a direct link on my MBP, I have to load it, find the title, then hop over to ATV and go to search, type in the title, and maybe it shows up. Not exactly ideal.

eTip

macrumors 6502
Mar 12, 2009
The YouTube interface in Apple TV sucks and should have been updated a long time ago. Even finding a recent viral video is like looking for a needle in a haystack most of the time. The search results are different than the web site & that sure doesn't help. And the "most watched" & "highest rated" are all but ruined by being mostly filled with pre-adolescent nonsense. Wish there was a filter for that!

I am jailbroken & the XBMC YouTube app seems like it might be a little better but I haven't used it much.

My solution is to use the mobile YouTube site - NOT the App - on my iPad & AirPlay to ATV from there. Not sure how the mobile site looks on the iPhone though. Isn't there a solution that will let you Airplay from a Mac?

sdsvtdriver

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 31, 2008
Southern California
The YouTube interface in Apple TV sucks and should have been updated a long time ago. Even finding a recent viral video is like looking for a needle in a haystack most of the time. The search results are different than the web site & that sure doesn't help. And the "most watched" & "highest rated" are all but ruined by being mostly filled with pre-adolescent nonsense. Wish there was a filter for that!

I am jailbroken & the XBMC YouTube app seems like it might be a little better but I haven't used it much.

My solution is to use the mobile YouTube site - NOT the App - on my iPad & AirPlay to ATV from there. Not sure how the mobile site looks on the iPhone though. Isn't there a solution that will let you Airplay from a Mac?

Not sure, that's why I'm here!

For all the 'it just works' solutions preached by Apple, this seems to be more difficult than it should be.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.