ATV2 compatible wifi hard drive other than time capsule?

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by DriveByPoster, Jun 27, 2011.

1. DriveByPoster macrumors newbie

Hello, all.

I just received an ATV2. I currently have a Macbook which the whole family uses, so I have been researching wifi hard drives that can stream to the ATV2 untethered to my Macbook.

Is the Time Capsule the best option? It is a little pricey, but a possibility. I know Seagate makes one, but it looks like it needs an app on the iOS device in order to access the files.

Any other suggestions? Thanks in advance.

2. Panch0 macrumors 6502a

ATV2 doesn't work that way out of the box. It needs a computer running iTunes to serve local content. You can still access content streamed from the iTunes store (Movie and tv Rentals) as well as Netfilx, Internet Radio, Podcasts, YouTube, MLB, etc... But to stream stuff from your local library, iTunes must be running on a local computer.

You can jail break the ATV2 and add the ability to access local content from a simple share ( Like a Time Capsule or other NAS), but all of that is in beta. Search for ATVFlash for more info.

ATV2 runs iOS, but at this time, there is no app store for it. You would not be able to use that Seagate device directly to the ATV, although you might be able to stream from the Seagate to an iPad or iPhone, and AirPlay to the ATV from there - the Seagate app would have to support AirPlay...