ATV2 - Convenient way to enter wireless password?

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by itickings, Mar 14, 2011.

1. itickings macrumors 6502a

itickings

Is there any convenient way to configure an AppleTV 2 to join a wireless network with a long and complicated password, or is punching it in via the remote the only viable way?

I'm open to jailbreaking if that'll simplify things.

In this case the network is set to WPA2 personal but I'm sure I'll run into other configurations as well. Not that I expect that to make any difference...

2. EmmEff macrumors regular

Not that I'm aware of... sure would be nice to be able to pair up a Bluetooth keyboard, though.

3. Che Castro macrumors 603

how about using your iphone/ipod or ipad

thats what i use as a remote

download the free remote app

4. Drew n macs macrumors member

IPHONE/IPOD/IPAD. The remote APP (free) for the idevices gives you a keyboard on the idevice which is nice. Not sure if that you are aware of this.

5. brand, Mar 14, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2011

brand macrumors 601

brand

That's a very good tip that I hadn't thought of. Especially since it can be used without jailbreaking.

[EDIT]
    Never mind, I should have remembered that it have to be on the same wireless network.

6. itickings thread starter macrumors 6502a

itickings

Thanks for the suggestions so far.

Unfortunately you can't configure the wireless network while connected to the wired network and you can't use the Remote App without a network as far as I know. That makes it very difficult to join a wireless network using the Remote App...

7. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

I'm not su, but the Apple TV 2 may show up in the iPhone Configuration Utility when plugged into a computer. Make sure it shows up in iTunes and it isn't in Recovery Mode. You'll be able to use iPhone Configuration Utility to put a wireless profile on it. Of course, I don't know if it'll actually show up or not.

8. Primejimbo macrumors 68040

I am in the same boat. I even had 2 networks going so I can use the Remote App and tried other things, nothing. If you find a way I will be very interested.

9. itickings thread starter macrumors 6502a

itickings

Thanks. I really really like the outside of the box-thinking on this one, no matter if it works or not. I'll give it a try if I can find a suitable USB cable. Not very hopeful that it'll show up, but well worth a try.