ATV2 Encodes Won't Play on ATV1 (Handbrake)

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by maclook, Jan 12, 2012.

1. maclook macrumors 65816

I'm setting up my old Apple TV 1st gen in my house. I've been encoding all of my movies for the ATV2 using Handbrake's ATV2 preset. My Apple TV 1 sees all the videos in my iTunes but can't play the ATV2 encoded videos.

Is there a reason for this or a way around it? I don't see why I shouldn't just start using the ATV1 preset if the ATV2 can read ATV1 encodes but I also don't understand why it's not working the other way around. They're technically both capable of playing the same videos right?

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

The Apple TV 1 has slightly slower playback abilities. Because of this, it can't play anything over, I think, 24 frames per second. While the Apple TV 2 can playback the full 30.

3. maclook thread starter macrumors 65816

Ugh, that's it. The ATV2 option changes the framerate to 30fps and that's the only change. That's a real pain in the butt.

4. dynaflash macrumors 68020

atv 1 can play 30 fps but not at 720p, it can at 540p. The atv2 can play back 720 at 30fps.

as well the atv2 can play back a slightly higher profile.

If you have both, encode for the atv 1 (least common denominator). On any 24 fps content it will look just as good as the atv 2 version and play on both.

----------

atv2 preset does *not* change the framerate to 30. both atv1 and atv2 preset use the source framerate. However the atv1 preset nerfs down the resolution to <= 540p since the atv1 cannot playback 720p 30 fps content (see above). Well physically it can but iTunes won't allow it.