ATV2 Hardware Upgrade to 1080P?

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by toddzrx, Jan 16, 2015.

1. toddzrx macrumors 6502a

toddzrx

I've searched around and can't find anything on this, but I'll ask the question anyway: does anyone know of a way to replace hardware in the ATV2 to enable it to play 1080P content? Maybe a logic board or processor replacement?

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Replace the logicboard with that of an Apple TV 3, but by that point might as well purchase an Apple TV 3.

3. chrfr macrumors 603

You can sell your ATV2 for far more than a new ATV3 costs.

4. toddzrx thread starter macrumors 6502a

toddzrx

Wow. I ran across an article earlier today that said the same thing, but the date on it was old and I figured the prices had come back down by now. I just took a look on eBay: sure enough, selling prices are over $100. I assume this is because of the ability to jailbreak an ATV2? What keeps ATV3 from doing the same thing?

5. 9512tacoma macrumors member

I sold my ATV2 for over $200 last year (it was a refurb from the apple store) and purchased the ATV3 refurb for $75. The reason for the atv2 price is the jailbreak but so far the atv3 can not be jail broken.

6. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

The Apple TV 3 lacks a vector to run the exploit.

7. chrfr macrumors 603

I did this a couple years back. I was able to sell my 2 for enough money that I bought 2 ATV 3s without spending any more money out of pocket. The jailbreak features weren't of interest to me, so I wasn't losing anything.