Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Panch0

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 23, 2010
Virginia
Over the past few days, I have been having a strange new issue where my ATV2 won't respond to the remote after waking from sleep.

I watch mostly Netflix, and after a show ends and the ATV returns to the show description, I just turn the TV off.

The next day, I turn the TV on and wake the ATV up by pressing a button. Up until last weekend, every thing has worked perfectly from here. Now, when I try to use the Menu button to navigate to another show, nothing happens.

I see the activity light blink for every button click, but nothing happens. I try holding the menu button to return to the main menu, but nothing happens.

On one occasion, rather than being immediately locked up, I was able to move a couple of spots within the Netflix menu before I got stuck ( I think I had just highlighted "Recently Viewed" but hadn't selected it yet).

The only way I have found to get back to normal is to hold the down + menu buttons until the ATV reboots - again showing the remote is sending signals. After a reboot everything seems fine until the next day.

The only thing I can think of to explain this would be some sort of delay in communicating with Netflix, since I am always starting off from within that menu, but it seem alike I should still be able to get back to the main menu.

I'm using wired ethernet to an AEBS and FiOS internet connection.

Anyone ever seen anything like this?

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
Over the past few days, I have been having a strange new issue where my ATV2 won't respond to the remote after waking from sleep.

I watch mostly Netflix, and after a show ends and the ATV returns to the show description, I just turn the TV off.

The next day, I turn the TV on and wake the ATV up by pressing a button. Up until last weekend, every thing has worked perfectly from here. Now, when I try to use the Menu button to navigate to another show, nothing happens.

I see the activity light blink for every button click, but nothing happens. I try holding the menu button to return to the main menu, but nothing happens.

On one occasion, rather than being immediately locked up, I was able to move a couple of spots within the Netflix menu before I got stuck ( I think I had just highlighted "Recently Viewed" but hadn't selected it yet).

The only way I have found to get back to normal is to hold the down + menu buttons until the ATV reboots - again showing the remote is sending signals. After a reboot everything seems fine until the next day.

The only thing I can think of to explain this would be some sort of delay in communicating with Netflix, since I am always starting off from within that menu, but it seem alike I should still be able to get back to the main menu.

I'm using wired ethernet to an AEBS and FiOS internet connection.

Anyone ever seen anything like this?

Have you tried replacing the battery in the remote? It is possible it's getting too weak to work properly.

And/or, do you have an iOS device with the Apple Remote app? If so, does the ATV2 still act up when using that as the remote?

Panch0

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 23, 2010
Virginia
Have you tried replacing the battery in the remote? It is possible it's getting too weak to work properly.

And/or, do you have an iOS device with the Apple Remote app? If so, does the ATV2 still act up when using that as the remote?

I have replaced the battery, but not since the trouble started. I'll give the remote app a try. I don't think that's going to be the issue since it works fine after a reboot and it does the initial "wake from sleep" and reboot actions OK. Good trouble shooting step though -thanks!

sim667

macrumors 65816
Dec 7, 2010
Im having the same problem with mine, i normally power down and up to resolve it.... Last night I put it on never sleep and never show screensaver as those seemed to be the things causing the problem. So ill see how that goes.

Im running a jailbroken ios 4.3, it wont wake using the remote or using remoteHD on my ipad or iphone. I havent tried apple remote as it crashes when I use that and plex at the same time.

ericrwalker

macrumors 68030
Oct 8, 2008
Albany, NY
The OPs problem is most likely the ATV2 jailbreak.

Mine are jailbroken, and I don't have an issue. What is the purpose of your post, and do you have any way to back up your claim? Or are you just Anti-jailbreak? I am guessing you're against jailbreaking because you don't understand it.

sim667

macrumors 65816
Dec 7, 2010
Nope, nothing jail broken. I used ATVFlash on my ATV1, but all of my iOS devices are stock & latest updates.

Weird question, have you tried it in another tv?

I had problems with my Virgin box not picking up the fact it was connected to HDMI to the TV.

Im wondering if there's a similar issue with this apple tv but I havent got round to plugging in another tele.

Panch0

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 23, 2010
Virginia
Weird question, have you tried it in another tv?

I had problems with my Virgin box not picking up the fact it was connected to HDMI to the TV.

Im wondering if there's a similar issue with this apple tv but I havent got round to plugging in another tele.

Only one TV in the house so I can't try that, but I don't think that would have any effect in my case. I can wake from sleep, and I get display, I'm just stuck on the page that it unlocks to until I reboot. I would think that if there were a problem detecting the TV I would be stuck on a blank screen.

I'm going to try using the remote app, then trying the never sleep setting and see if one of those has any effect.

Thanks!

Panch0

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 23, 2010
Virginia
Just by chance, I had left the ATV2 on one of the iTunes TV menu items when it went to sleep yesterday. When It woke up today, there was no problem. More testing required, but I think there is a tie in with Netflix somehow.

Will report back if I track it down - thanks for the feedback.

Panch0

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 23, 2010
Virginia
Update - seems Netflix related

For the past couple of days, I have made sure that I navigated away from the Netflix menu before letting the ATV2 go to sleep. In eery case, it has resumed from sleep the next day with no issues.

This could just be a fluke, but right now it looks like something is going on with Netfiix. I will post back if anything else turns up.

Thanks for the suggestions!

sim667

macrumors 65816
Dec 7, 2010
I dont have netflix on my ATV.

My resolution was to never let it sleep, never turn on screensaver. Been working fine since, although I do worry about playing music on it incase it burns in on the screen where it displays album artwork and name,

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.