(ATV2) Sometime problems with subtitles

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by lixe, Oct 20, 2010.

1. lixe macrumors member

Hello,
    I "convert" (change the container) of many MKV movies using MKVtools. Sometimes MKVtools doesn't mux the file and just delete all the extracted streams if I have selected subtitles, but I think this only happens if the MKV contains .ass files, is that normal?
    Second I have problems using .srt files. I added a .srt subtitle file using subler and it worked just fine on my MacBook, but my AppleTV displays the subtitle just as long as it takes until there is a second without subtitles and then it doesn't the subtitles anymore until I press Play/Pause. Does anyone have an idea what could be wrong?

Thanks!
    Felix

2. emmgunn macrumors member

Hi,
    Check the "keep log files" option in the preferences to stop MKVtools from deleting all the temporary files created during processing. If you're not getting a finished, converted video, then there was an error in one of the steps of the process. It's hard to say where, but the various temporary log files should help find the problem.

FYI, improving the handling of subtitles is near the top of the todo list :).

3. BlackMangoTree macrumors 6502a

Nothing to do with MKVTools, its the Apple TV fault.