Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Italstln13

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 10, 2008
I took back my original Apple TV2 to the apple store yesterday for problems streaming (some glitching with netflix and airplay). The gladly exchanged it and gave me a new unit. Well now this unit is having problems. I went to update the software and it says "The Apple TV update could not be downloaded at the time. Try again later".

I have unplugging it and updating and get the same message. Finally I decided to restore the apple tv 2. I get the same message- "The Apple TV update could not be downloaded at the time. Try again later" (it wants to download the new software when it restores).

Any thoughts? This is driving me crazy!

ScottEK

macrumors newbie
Jul 11, 2008
I bought my Dad an Apple TV2 for Father's Day. I started trying to set it up around an hour ago. It won't update, restore, or connect to Netflix. I have two of my own so I'm familiar with how to use them. It seems to be a larger Apple problem.

The error I get when signing into Netflix is that it also can not connect to Apple servers.

I took back my original Apple TV2 to the apple store yesterday for problems streaming (some glitching with netflix and airplay). The gladly exchanged it and gave me a new unit. Well now this unit is having problems. I went to update the software and it says "The Apple TV update could not be downloaded at the time. Try again later".

I have unplugging it and updating and get the same message. Finally I decided to restore the apple tv 2. I get the same message- "The Apple TV update could not be downloaded at the time. Try again later" (it wants to download the new software when it restores).

Any thoughts? This is driving me crazy!

walterpaisley

macrumors 6502
Oct 27, 2004
Springfield

DustinT

macrumors 68000
Feb 26, 2011
This is apparently still a current issue. I'm unable to download or access the url today.

Summez

macrumors member
Mar 20, 2011
Apple TV Update

Just spoken with Applecare.
They say that there is a problem with the Apple TV and it won't update via the Update software option in the settings menu.

They advise to plug the Apple TV into a computer using a Micro USB cable
and to restore and update the Apple TV in iTunes.

Hope this helps:apple:

DustinT

macrumors 68000
Feb 26, 2011
Just spoken with Applecare.
They say that there is a problem with the Apple TV and it won't update via the Update software option in the settings menu.

They advise to plug the Apple TV into a computer using a Micro USB cable
and to restore and update the Apple TV in iTunes.

Hope this helps:apple:
Thats a pretty unusual usb cable on the back. Guess I'll have to grab one at the store. Shame they didn't just use a standard mini usb, I've got a few dozen of those by now.

rico585

macrumors newbie
Oct 14, 2010
I tried to connect it to a itunes yesterday and got another error. Something about resource not available. I'm glad this thread has gotten some attention. Someone posted yesterday and got no response. I'm hoping the apple server for atv is just down or something.

DustinT

macrumors 68000
Feb 26, 2011
Well, here we are a few hours later and the update worked this time. I had to retry the download about a dozen times but it finally completed and the update was a success. Looks like it was an issue on Apple's end, at least as far as I can tell.

Summez

macrumors member
Mar 20, 2011
Just to update, My Apple TV now starts to update from the settings menu but about 1/4 of the way through the update comes up with the message 'Update Cannot be Completed'.
:apple:

DustinT

macrumors 68000
Feb 26, 2011
Just to update, My Apple TV now starts to update from the settings menu but about 1/4 of the way through the update comes up with the message 'Update Cannot be Completed'.
:apple:
Yup, thats what happened to me. Just keep trying and it will complete eventually.

F-six

macrumors member
Feb 23, 2008
Netherlands
Nope, still no luck. Tried it several times, but everytime I got the message "upadate cannot be completed". I'll try again this weekend.

DarthRandom

macrumors newbie
Apr 4, 2011
Canada
Same problem with me guys. I connected it to my iMac with just the micro USB and the IPSW downloads all the way and it just sends me an error before restoring. I tried many times with no progress.

mgpg89

macrumors 6502a
Aug 31, 2008
Belgium
Same problem ... still stuck in 4.1.1 (just bought an ATV2 and it came with 4.1.1 -> updating won't work)

F-six

macrumors member
Feb 23, 2008
Netherlands
My ATV just updated OK. It was somewhat weird though. First it wouldn't update, tonight I got the same error as earlier this week. After that I gave up and watched a movie (the ATV is working, I just wanted to restore because of the delays finding libraries). After I watched the movie I got the message 'there is an update available, want to upgrade now?' I said 'yes' but immediately I got an error message. Just for good luck I tried one more time from the menu and there it was.. No error! I have a fresh 4.2.2 system on the ATV.

nizram

macrumors newbie
Jun 28, 2011
NJ
Update According to Apple Support

As of 8:30 PM EDT, Apple Support reports their ATV update servers are down. They are expecting them to be functional tomorrow, June 29th.

MattG

macrumors 68040
May 27, 2003
Asheville, NC
Having this problem here as well...bought an additional ATV2 for the house on Saturday, can't get it to update. Will try again tonight.

nizram

macrumors newbie
Jun 28, 2011
NJ
Looks like the update servers are backup... I was just able to successfully update my ATV 2.

jayceehi

macrumors newbie
Jul 16, 2012
Maybe this helps

I could not update through itunes after many tries....Last time I tried, I did not use the power cord on the Apple TV. Without the powercord, the update worked. Might be just luck but might be worth a try if you are still having problems.
Cheers
John

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.