ATV2+XBMC Streaming

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by pilotmac, Feb 26, 2011.

1. pilotmac macrumors newbie

Hi

I'm thinking of getting an ATV2. Before I go out and buy one, I have a few questions I hope you guys can help me with.
    My setup would be a JB ATV2 with XBMC installed. Streaming from shared files on my macbook, and at some point getting a NAS to do the streaming from.
    I have a ZyXel Prestige 2602HW-DIA modem/router to handle the internet and network, however I also have an Airport express which I'm currently not using.

1. Is it even possible to stream from my macbook to the ATV not using iTunes.

2. Can the Zyxel router handle the traffic(.avi, mkv files)? Would it be better to somehow use the Airport express?

3. I would like to get a NAS to store all my movies. Have been looking to get this: Iomega Home Media Network Hard Drive 1TB. Is this a suitable NAS for the job? It would be nice if I could use it for Time Machine backup as well, but it's not all that important.
    Should I consider an Airport Extreme with a HDD connected? Or perhaps a Time capsule?

Any help is appreciated...

2. profets macrumors 68040

I bought an ATV just for the purpose of streaming using XBMC. Been working great.

1. XBMC can browse SMB or UPNP shares on the network (no need for iTunes). I'm not 100% sure how making shares on OSX is as I stream from a windows computer and a NAS.

2. Don't know much about the router, so can't really comment. But unless its some very slow router you shouldnt have a problem. Streaming some HD content over wireless could get stutters depending on the setup.

3. Depending on how serious you are about a NAS setup, I would highly recommend Synology, they have many options and also work for doing time machine backups.

Hope thats helpful..