ATV3(1469) and peer-to-peer AirPlay using a Mac

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by crucius, May 23, 2015.

1. crucius macrumors regular

Hi!

So my question is: I'm trying to connect my new Macbook 12'' to my Apple TV. However, I don't have a wifi connection at home (or in other words, I do have one, but that one requires entering a password on a browser, which the Apple TV can't do). I bought this Apple TV precisely because it said that with peer to peer AirPlay I wouldn't need to be on the same wifi network.

However, it doesn't work. I don't even have the AirPlay icon on the menu bar. Also, if I connect all my devices to the network (without internet access) I mentioned above I still can't AirPlay.

Anyone can help me?

2. ravipiero macrumors regular

Do you have bluetooth on on both devices?

Also, try to turn off/disconnect wifi on you Apple TV to see if that helps.

3. brand macrumors 601

brand

Apple AirPlay

Took about 3 minutes to find by simply Googling the term peer-to-peer AirPlay.

4. crucius thread starter macrumors regular

Been there, done that, doesn't work. I never get the AirPlay icon.

----------

I do have Bluetooth on on both. However, the Apple TV won't pair with the Mac, just the keyboard. About wifi: you can't turn it off in the Apple TV, can you?

5. brand macrumors 601

brand

ATV3(1469) and peer-to-peer AirPlay using a Mac

Perhaps a factory restore on the AppleTV and then update to the current version. I have seen lots of strange things on the AppleTV where a factory restore fixed it. It might be worth a shot but there is no guarantee.

6. crucius thread starter macrumors regular

Already did that, by using a computer with iTunes. Software is up to date and freshly restored, still no cigar. (my hunch: I'll have to connect the Apple TV to the internet at least once... but I can't, since the Apple TV doesn't support my internet, because it requires a browser to enter username and password)