ATV3, Home Sharing, Own Content and Restrictions Issues

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by askipper, Aug 25, 2014.

1. askipper macrumors member

Hi, hope someone can help.

Basically I have purchased a new ATV 3rd gen for my 14 year old daughter to connect to our iTunes library stored on our network on on iMac.

On our iTunes we have purchased content along with a lot of our own encoded content (100's of DVD's we converted using Handbrake).

On all movies we set ratings (UK) using Meta X so we have 18, 15, 12 and PG basically.

I have home sharing turned on on the iMac

However, when I set restrictions ON with the ATV to say allow cert 15 then it doesn't work - it stops ALL movies except U & PG. If I set it to 18 it makes no difference - only allows U & PG's
    If I turn movie restrictions on ATV to 'off' then same again - doesn't allow PG, 15's or 18's.
    I have to turn restrictions OFF all together for everything on the ATV then PG's, 15's and 18's are allowed.

However, I don't want to allow 18's! I don't mind her watching most 15's but if there's a 15 I don't like I set it to an '18' using Meta X anyway.

All this used to work on her 1st gen ATV but the new 3rd Gen ATV it doesn't seem to work at all.

It's either pretty much restrict everything or nothing.

As a side note I some TV it won't allow and others it will too.

Am I missing something here? I just checked my ATV3 in our living room and that used to work fine I'm sure but now it too is restricting all movies to PG and below too!

Maybe there's been a new update to iTunes or something recently that's messed this up for me?