ATV3 - streaming NAS

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by jer99, Dec 27, 2013.

1. jer99 macrumors newbie

I'm trying to set up a NAS server to save my DVD collection and stream it through my TV via my AV Receiver.
    I have a ATV 3 and am running iTunes on my networked computer (PC at this point).
    Can't I just point iTunes to a NAS device and select it from the Computer Icon in ATV?

I noticed that people are mentioning JB the ATV, why? I dont see an advantage really.

Can iTunes/ATV have videos that are protected from kids? i.e. if we dont want our child to see a R rated movie...?

Any help would be greatly appreciated...

Jerry

2. linds15 macrumors 6502a

yes you can point itunes to your nas. but itunes has to be running for the atv to play the files. people like jailbreaking and running xbmc or plex so that files can be read directly from the nas, circumventing itunes.
    you can enable parental controls on the atv, and then set it so that tv shows or movies above a certain rating require a password to be played.

3. priitv8 macrumors 68020

Plex still needs a server, similar to "iTunes running" requirement.
    Depending on your NAS, you might be able to install a native version of Plex Media Server on your NAS. If not, you need a dedicated computer to run it.
    XBMC is able to directly connect to network shares but then it is not streaming, just copying the file from network. At the end of the day - not much difference.

4. arsene macrumors newbie

I have a Synology NAS which stores my collection of movies & music.

I used the Synology apps on the iPad or iPhone to select the movies I want to watch and have it streamed via air play thru ATV to play.

You do not have to leave the PC on while watching the movie.

5. Mill321 macrumors newbie

Nice, I'm new to this stuff and am looking into Synology myself.

6. priitv8 macrumors 68020

Yes, this can be achieved via Restrictions (formerly Parental Controls). This is orchestrated between aTV, iTunes and correct rating metadata in your movie files (can be set with a metadata editor).
    How this would work on Plex? Sorry, no idea.

7. SpinalTap macrumors regular

SpinalTap

One practical option is to buy an HP Microserver N54L as your NAS. After cashback, this will cost little more than full retail for an AppleTV...

http://www8.hp.com/uk/en/products/proliant-servers/product-detail.html?oid=5336624#!tab=features

Onto this, add WHS2011, plus iHomeServer - which will give you an iTunes source to stream to your AppleTV...

http://www.bizmodeller.com/iHomeServer_for_iTunes.aspx

Plus, if you require Synology functionality on your Microserver, then download the open source XPEnology NAS software...

http://xpenology.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=2