ATV3 Toast?

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by ultra7k, Nov 6, 2013.

1. ultra7k macrumors 6502

ultra7k

The other day one of the ATV3s I own stopped working, here's the situation.

Tried to airplay something from my phone to the TV, but got the message that the operation could not be completed.

Restarted the ATV, it booted back in, and now I am on the screen with only 2 icons, one for Home (i think) and the other is for Settings. It gives me the message that the ATV can't connect to the network...

I tried resetting it to factory settings, still got the same message.

The ATV recognizes that there is a network in the house, has a great signal, but otherwise can't connect no matter what I do.

For what it's worth, the other ATV3 I have works fine. Is this unit toast, or am I missing something?

2. Stewart21 macrumors regular

Have you re-booted your router?

3. markfc macrumors 6502a

markfc

Check your serial number against the AppleTV 3 support page.

You may have a faulty unit that Apple will replace for free.

This issue affects only a small number of devices that Apple has identified. To qualify, your Apple TV's serial number must meet the following qualifications:
    The last four letters of the serial number must be DRHN
    The fourth and fifth alphanumeric characters of the serial number must contain one of these pairs:
    H9, HD, HD, HF, HG, HH, HJ, HK, HL, HM, HN, HP, HQ, HR, HT, HV, HW, HX, J1, J2, J3, J4, J5, J6, J7, J9
    For affected systems, Apple's employees will ensure they are running version 5.2.1 of the Apple TV operating system or later, and then test for potential noise interference issues with the device. If they cannot resolve the issue after these and additional basic troubleshooting steps, then they will replace the device with a new one, free of charge.
    UPDATE (4/25/2013): The characters in pairs must be the fourth and fifth of the serial number, and not the third and fourth as was originally reported.