ATV3 vs. ATV4 Screen Resolution

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by SCCoast, Oct 30, 2015.

1. SCCoast macrumors newbie

SCCoast

i never was impressed by the screen resolution on my ATV3. How much of an improvement is there with the ATV4? Not sure what 60 fps vs. 30 fps will look like on TV or if it really improves the image.

2. Cryates macrumors 6502a

It's the same. 1080p. 1920x1080.

FPS has nothing to do with actual resolution.

3. Benz63amg macrumors 68000

Benz63amg

+1

not sure what the OP has read but what he's asking does not make any sense whatsoever.

4. SCCoast thread starter macrumors newbie

SCCoast

5. SCCoast thread starter macrumors newbie

SCCoast

The best example would be the screen image quality for CNBC via the ATV3 vs. the image on the same TV on the Xfinity connection. The image from Xfinity Is dramatically better.

6. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

Xfinity is digital cable?
    MUCH higher bandwidth. I dont know Xfinity bandwidth, but the over the air 1080 channels near me broadcast video at around 19mbps with an... mpeg codec derivative?

AppleTV 1080 is around 4-6mbps on h.264. H.264 is much higher lossy compression, but also thats a huge bandwidth gap.

My point is, most streaming boxes are going to be a significant quality drop compared to broadcast, OTA/digital cable.

This is all well known and documented. I for one am not bothered.

7. Cryates macrumors 6502a

It would also depend on your Internet speed as well. You may not be getting full picture quality.

8. Mackinjosh macrumors 6502a

You're comparing streaming video over the internet to your TV connection. Watch a movie or TV show from Apple. Those actually download to your device before playing and will look much nicer than the streaming sites.