Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

spuggyleeds

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 30, 2013
I have just purchased an Epson EH-TW6100W projector but have noticed some issues with my ATV3. I tried watching something on Netflix or streaming from my PC with iTunes (DVD and HD quality) and notice that the image flicks from very clear/sharp images to slightly out of focus/dull every 2 seconds.

I am assuming this is something to do with the projector as I've never noticed this before when watching on several TVs.

Everything else on my projector looks amazing and doesn't do this alternate sharpness/blurry flicking every few seconds with them. I have my SKY+ HD and PS3 also plugged in and they are perfectly fine!

Tbh, I haven't tried anything yet to see what it could be, but wondered if it could be the refresh rate or if anyone else has had similar problems?

I am going to try and plug the HDMI cable straight into the projector instead of through the wifi unit (which is amazing btw) first, then try a different HDMI cable and then maybe see if I can force the refresh rate to 60 hertz instead of AUTO.

Can anyone help me at all or know how I could go about fixing this?

Last edited:

spuggyleeds

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 30, 2013
Well it seems as though the issue is with the wifi hub. I plugged the ATV3 straight into the projector and there was no sharp/blurry flicking. It's strange as the SKY+ HD and the PS3 are both absolutely fine.

Maybe it's just something I have to live with, although it's a shame as I'm loving Netflix at 300" on my wall.

GreatDrok

macrumors 6502a
May 1, 2006
New Zealand
Well it seems as though the issue is with the wifi hub. I plugged the ATV3 straight into the projector and there was no sharp/blurry flicking. It's strange as the SKY+ HD and the PS3 are both absolutely fine.

Maybe it's just something I have to live with, although it's a shame as I'm loving Netflix at 300" on my wall.

A bit late to this but it could be that the Sky+ and PS3 are both running at lower bandwidth settings (720p or 1080i, or even 1080p/24) whereas the ATV trying to run at 1080p/60 could just be too high for wireless HDMI in your environment.

Personally, I use wired HDMI for all my devices including my ATV3, PS3, Xbox 360 and Blu ray player (region free DVD required so the PS3 doesn't cut it)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.