Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

chametzoo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 1, 2018
I'm setting up 2 speaker locations in my home. One in my "Living Room" and another in my "Study". Both are utilizing ATV4's as the Airplay 2 devices. In both locations, I am using HDMI audio extractors off the ATV4's and running the digital signal only through 2 Cambridge DAC's in each location, and outputting the converted signal via RCA cables to 2 Marantz analogue receiver/amplifiers in each location. In the "Living Room" only, the HDMI extractor also has a 'pass through' to a television for both video and audio, for normal TV watching. All digital outputs regardless, are converted to an up sampled higher standard by the Cambridge DAC's and then the analogue conversion is sent to the amps.

It all works well... except for one thing: All the Airplay devices (2 ATV4's) show up on the list on my iPhone 5s [iOS 11.4]. One ATV4 is called "Living Room" and the other is called "Study". The problem is both ATV4's will not play simultaneously. The one not playing will have an empty 'selection circle' next to it... the one playing, will have only a 'check' next to it. When I choose the one not playing, that reverses and only one speaker system (Living Room & Study) will play at a time. This is a BIG "except" because the ATV4's were purchased, along with everything else, to take advantage of Airplay 2's multi room capability, while still using the audio equipment I want to use (i.e., no Home Pods or the like.)

Am I missing a software setting or something? I've read in other places on the forum that some suspect that Airplay 2 in its full form was not really included in the iOS 11 release last year. I'm all up to date with my softwares all around.

Your help and experience, appreciated. Mike

chametzoo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 1, 2018
Update: I'm new to all this, so I thought Apple TV's would set up automatically like Airport Express. I followed the Home Kit instructions for "Set up Apple TV as a home hub" and that added the "Study" room ATV4 and now both locations/ATV4's can play simultaneously. Thanks for your help and I think I understand the Home app architecture better now.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.