Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

turbineseaplane

macrumors G5
Original poster
Mar 19, 2008
Is anybody else having some wonky stuff happen with AirPlay on the new Apple TV, in this case specifically with YouTube?

This exact thing I'll describe is simply not an issue on the ATV3 I have sitting next to it.

Basically, if AirPlay is enabled and I go to play something...it thinks a little bit and then says "playback error, tap to retry" - No matter how much retrying you do, it doesn't work. I've tried it on dozens of different YT videos - same thing.

What does work is using control center to turn off AirPlay and then once it starts playing, turn it back on. But you have to do this for every video. Clearly a bug (and huge pain in the ass).

Ridiculous that something like AirPlay of all things is working fine on the ATV3 but not ATV4.

(please don't blame Google/youTube - It's working perfectly and always has on the old ATV3)

TalentBurke

macrumors newbie
Nov 2, 2015
I've been having this issue as well. Same exact thing, works on my Apple TV 3 but not on the Apple TV 4. I just use the YouTube app on the Apple TV for now.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.