ATV4 and Optical Audio Dongle

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by landi.erik, Oct 30, 2015.

1. landi.erik macrumors member

landi.erik

Hi all,

I have been searching the threads, posts and doing some other research to figure out my question. Since the ATV is out and I'm sure someone has tried this I figured now is a good time to open a thread.

Has anyone tried using a HDMI audio extractor that breaks out optical audio with the Apple TV 4? Does 5.1 Dolby Digital get passed on to the Optical extractor? Or does it default to a stereo signal?

I'm concerned that the Dolby Digital Plus signal does not contain a Standard DD 5.1 signal that was present on the last generation ATV, because in the Dolby Spec it's up to the manufacture and content provider to continue backward compatibility. In addition, people using the Roku 3 and a HDMI extractor have noted that DD+ apps like netflix default to stereo when sensing the HDMI extractor, sometimes sound is completely gone. Anyone who has tried the Apple TV 4 with an extractor please chime in! If not some healthy discussion about workarounds or if the optical audio port will make a return on ATV 5 (kinda how Roku caved and brought it back on the Roku 4) would also be appreciated!

Thanks Everybody!

2. edanuff macrumors 6502

I just posted in the Apple Support Discussions my experience with this. I have a Etekcity 6x2 HDMI Matrix Switcher with SPDIF extraction that I use for my old Apple TV, Comcast box, XBox One, Nvidia Shield, etc. to connect to my soundbar. The Apple TV 4 doesn't work with it - it outputs stereo-only sound for about 5 minutes and then stops playing any audio until the Apple TV is reset. I've ordered another extractor from Amazon and I'll see if that one works any better. If this one doesn't work, I'm sadly going to have to return the Apple TV.

3. TheAppleFairy macrumors 68020

TheAppleFairy

I was a little upset that they removed the optical audio out, but I have a solution that works for me. My receiver doesn't play audio from a HDMI cable so I have to run optical cables. My solution is that I had to reroute my wiring and reconfigure my harmony remote, my receiver settings and run the hdmi from the atv4 directly to my tv. My tv has an optical out (it is the only audio output available) so I think ran a optical cord from the tv to the receiver. It is a pain in the butt to have to re setup everything but it seems to work. I know not everyone has the same options though.

4. edanuff macrumors 6502

Does it work in 5.1 surround? I just had Amazon deliver me the J-Tech Digital ® Premium Quality HDMI To HDMI + Audio (Spdif + RCA Stereo) Audio Extractor Converter and it's a no-go for 5.1. It's playing stereo only, regardless of the settings on either the extractor or the Apple TV 4. I plugged my Apple TV 3 into it and got 5.1 surround sound. Unless someone can confirm otherwise, I have to assume that HDMI audio extractors will not produce surround sound with the Apple TV 4.

5. jabrown93 macrumors member

..............""............."."".........
    I'm getting surround sound out it on the Apple TV 4

6. landi.erik thread starter macrumors member

landi.erik

What apps are you using? I know that some apps keep the original Dolby Digital stream and include the Dolby Digital Plus codec. However I thought that Netflix dropped regular Dolby Digital on systems without Optical Audio. Also you may want to check your surround sound system to make sure it's not taking a PCM 2.1 (aka stereo sound) and making it faux surround sound (which is ok, but not true surround). Right now I'm holding onto my apple TV 3 for dear life, I just hope that apple does not obsolete it.

7. maternusgold macrumors newbie

maternusgold

I don't have an Atv4 yet, i have the 3, but i think i'd have to do it the same way you did it. Isn't it another pain in the butt that you always have to turn on the tv to listen to music? i think that would really annoy me... Or did i miss something? Okay with a splitter or extractor it would work but for now i think i stick with the the old model...

8. TheAppleFairy macrumors 68020

TheAppleFairy

I rarely use it for music, but yes I would have to turn on the tv to listen to music this way. The other annoying part was that I had to buy a new optical cable and of course I wanted it right away so I had to pay Radio Shack prices. So far I like the new ATV much better than my ATV 2 though.

9. Mac... nificent macrumors 6502

10. landi.erik thread starter macrumors member

landi.erik

Edanuff,

Where you able to find a solution for the Apple TV 4 and an HDMI audio extractor that worked in surround? As with you I also thought this was going to be a no go as well. I'm pretty sure it has to do with the Dolby Digital Plus codec and not having the legacy Dolby Digital signal embedded in the audio stream.

If anyone else has success with a HDMI switch with Toslink out or a dedicated HDMI Audio extractor please let us know the make and model of the device as a lot of people are waiting on this info to pull the trigger on the New Apple TV.

Thanks!

11. niteflyr, Nov 8, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2015

niteflyr macrumors 6502a

I am getting 5.1 surround using the optical port on this device:

http://www.amazon.com/J-Tech-Digital-Premium-Extractor-Converter/dp/B00BIQER0E

The ATV4 audio surround sound setting must be set to 'Dolby Surround'. In 'Auto' I only get stereo or PCM. On Netflix I played the "Example Short 23.976" video. It has a 5 channel audio test built in to it. You will not hear the test in stereo mode.

edit: Just discovered an app called "Surround Speaker Check" for ATV4 in the app store. I am definitely getting Dolby Digital 5.1 sound with this setup. My old-ish receiver does not support Dolby Digital Plus.

12. landi.erik thread starter macrumors member

landi.erik

Excellent, thanks for your post and I will recommend that we try to get this thread stickied for future reference. COuld you post your model of receiver for reference? Anyone else with other models and success stories are welcome to post!

Going forward we should use this type of template for easy reference.
    Home Theater Receiver Model:?
    HDMI Extractor Device Model(HDMI Switch or Dedicated Unit):?
    Apple TV (Hardware Rev) (Software Version):?
    Dolby Digital Settings in Apple TV:?
    Verified Surround (Apps, Netflix, ETC):?
    Place of Purchase and any other comments below your system settings.

13. mpainesyd macrumors 6502a

mpainesyd

I have the latest ViewHD as well. I cannot confirm all of the output types but it works as well as the optical audio from my ATV3. It also works with my old iMac Mini-Display/HDMI out.
    I use the iMac for EyeTV on a projector so I also have an HDMI switcher box (Jaycar) and don't have to keep changing the hifi "source" when swapping between the iMac and ATV.

14. Scottmorris7979 macrumors newbie

Scottmorris7979

Niteflyr

I purchased the below unit and I have sound but no picture. Is there a setting that needs to be changed?
    Thanks

15. niteflyr macrumors 6502a

No setting changes. Check the HDMI cable from the audio extractor to the television.