ATV4 and Single Sign On

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by mlody, Jun 15, 2016.

1. mlody macrumors 6502a

Can someone please comment on how SSO works on ATV4? I am very excited about this feature and if this really works as advertised, I will definitely be replacing my ATV3 with ATV4.

2. i hate phones macrumors 6502a

I am curious to know how this works if you use multiple logon credentials... will that still be possible with single sign on? for example will you still have the option to activate at the app level with different credentials if your single sign on account doesn't give access to that app?

3. mildocjr macrumors 65816

SSO is not really a new concept as you probably know, it's been used for years. It's going to work by saving your credentials to your TV provider and then the Apps will just reference the saved credentials in order to verify your service features so you don't have to put in a code at somemediasite.com/activate.

As far as implementing multiple credentials, I doubt it since it's not a common practice to have more than one logon credential to a service provider or to have multiple service providers unless you are a business. Apple isn't aiming for business, just consumer.

4. jdag macrumors 6502a

Agreed. I hope you can override and log into an app individually but I don't expect that capability. My guess is that it will be a centralized credentials storage point only. I hope I am wrong.

5. MistrSynistr macrumors 6502a

I assume this is for TV provider apps and not things like Netflix, Hulu, HBOGo and such.

6. Rigby macrumors 601

HBO Go requires cable provider authentication, so it will very likely use the new feature.

7. Beerstalker macrumors 6502

Correct HBO Go will likely use Single Sign On, HBO Now is the standalone product that will not use Single Sign On. I'm guessing MistrSynistr got them confused.

8. JBaby macrumors member

JBaby

This will only work for my if all apps work with all providers. I have AMC through Dish but I can't use my credentials to login to AMC. That isn't a rare occurrence either. SSO only works if this issue is fixed.

9. Beerstalker macrumors 6502

That is a contract issue between Dish and AMC (and the other networks). Dish/Comcast/DirecTV/etc. have to have a contract that includes streaming rights in order for their logins to work for those apps. So most likely you are going to be without AMC until Dish Network's current contract is expired and a new one is signed. Nothing Apple can do about that.

10. mildocjr macrumors 65816

I'm sure that Apple has at least considered those situtations, where a channel is not provided by a service provider, but even then it'd still be cheaper to get AMC GO/NOW/WHATEVER, instead of getting another cable contract. These are specifically for cable company contracts, not the GO/NOW platforms that are sold as individual packages.

The only way you could get close to SSO for those is to buy all of them through iTunes so you just click restore purchase.

11. winstars macrumors member

So like i figured, all of the early adapters of the ATV4 (I pre-ordered) have gone from having to use that &#@$% single line across the screen keyboard to sign on, to being able to use the remote app on our iPhones to sign on, to being able to use a bluetooth keyboard to sign on, to being able to use Siri to sign on, and now to the soon to be SSO.

Yes SSO, the term we learned like, the other day!!!

I just might buy another ATV4 just to indulge myself.

The best thing I did for ease of use of my ATV4 was to buy a cover for the remote. Its much less fiddly and in this case bigger IS better...

12. JBaby macrumors member

JBaby

I never thought  was responsible for contracts because that doesn't make any sense. The point is that not all login credentials work with all channels. While I know it's not the norm some people do have more than one provider because they have more than one home. For example, my friend lives in KS but she has an apartment In another state for work. She should be able to use both of her logins. If I, or anyone else, have access to an additional login I should be able to use it just like I do now. It should be smart enough to know that login A doesn't work with Channel A but login B does so it should SSO to Channel A with login B.

Not every channel has a Now/Anytime option. AMC doesn't. But that matters little because I already have the channel and I have access to it via an additional login.

13. Beerstalker macrumors 6502

I would be willing to bet that the number of people who actually subscribe to more than one service provider is very, very miniscule. Probably a fraction of 1%. The vast majority of people that would want this are people that are actually using their friends/families logins, and thus "stealing" these services. Apple is not going to try to make this easier for them to do so.

Also, I'm wondering if your SSO does not provide you with access to a channel/app you wouldn't be able to go into that app and enter a different login instead? To me that would be an acceptable option for the few people that do actually have more than one service provider.

14. JBaby macrumors member

JBaby

I agree with you that it's not common at all for people to have more than one provider. I was just pointing out that there are legit reasons for people to have more than one provider. All I'm looking for is an alternative. Your idea would suit me just fine. I don't think SSO is bad. I am looking forward to it because having to go to a website all the time sucks. In fact, I've bookmarked all the sites for the channels I have installed so I don't have to type them out all the time. While messing around in the Settings yesterday I thought SSO could be put under accounts. My iCloud account different from my iTunes/App Store/Home Sharing account. I think SSO could be located there and you could add more than one.

15. Tech198 macrumors G4

To me, Single-Sign-On means same credentials uses across all apps using same AppleID, but don't need to sign in to each one. I wish it would also be across multiple Apple ID's but I don't think Apple would like that, because they even try and discourage that even now.

The fact u can add multiple Apple ID's now under iTunes store just make things more convenient, that doesn't always mean Apple supports the method.

16. Che Castro macrumors 603

I have the beta 10 and don't see anything in settings about this

Is this something apps have to update for ?

17. JBaby macrumors member

JBaby

Yes.

18. Che Castro macrumors 603

19. JBaby macrumors member

JBaby

You're welcome! LOL!!!

20. marty1980 macrumors 6502

I believe Apple will allow the apps to decide whether or not to use SSO and whether or not it will allow alternative sign on methods. Sure; they'll be encouraged to participate, but it's not being forced upon everyone.

My tempered excitement is in regards to the channels that don't have a login with my provider. I'm curious how this will affect my options for which apps participate.

For example: HGTV does not have Comcast or Xfinity available. So even though I pay for it with my cable subscription, I can't use the app in other rooms.

Furthermore, with the FCCs recent changes, cable companies will have to allow 3rd party software on devices, such as Apple TV, to provide access to cable video. Once this is implemented and enforced, Apple's SSO will fit in nicely for the framework.

I am curious if Apple is going to allow multiple credentials for multiple services providers in SSO. I would assume so, considering Netflix, Hulu and Amazon's importance on media boxes and knowing these are not tied to a cable subscription means we should assume multiple accounts can be setup.

21. jdag macrumors 6502a

You've hit on my questions/concerns. Also, I think it will be a decent amount of time before all apps participate.

22. i hate phones macrumors 6502a

Still being able to activate an app how it is currently done, if your SSO doesn't work is exactly what i'm hoping for. On top of the rare occurrence of having multiple providers, some apps don't list certain providers in the activation process, but there have been workarounds to get them to work (especially with Xfinity)... Not sure how SSO would affect that.

23. AtheistP3ace macrumors 6502a

AtheistP3ace

This feature is going to be great. I can't count the times I have to login into multiple apps with the same Comcast id.