ATV4 Audio Solutions

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by Cergman, Dec 28, 2015.

1. Cergman macrumors 6502a

Cergman

I picked up an Apple TV 4, but the lack of an optical audio port is kind of an issue for me.

In the past, I used HDMI from my Apple TV 3 to my receiver for audio and video in my living room. Then I used the optical out into an analog converter, and passed that into the amplifier for the system in my backyard and around the rest of the house. The trouble is, the ATV4 has no optical port, so I can't play my music around the house.

I do have a Mac Mini in the rack as an AirPlay server, among other things, which works when I select it under the settings of the ATV4. But the issue with that is no more audio goes into my living room surround system. If there is a way to select both at once, that would solve my issue.

Does anyone know what I can do to solve this? I need HDMI audio as well as another optical (or even analog) audio coming from my ATV4. I'm looking for the cheapest solution possible, but keeping the old ATV around is not a possibility. Thanks for the help.

2. Mac... nificent macrumors 6502

3. Cergman thread starter macrumors 6502a

Cergman

4. Mac... nificent macrumors 6502

The HDMI output should function the same as the HDMI cable you plugged in. It is just "extracting" the audio portion.

5. mellofello macrumors 65816

6. iPhisch macrumors 6502

Dude, buy a G-band Airport Express off eBay. You can get them for like 30-35 bucks. Get the little optical headphones adapter off amazon for a dollar, or just use the analog headphones-to-rca and you're set.

7. LiveM macrumors 6502a

LiveM

I would also get an Airport Express, but a new n one rather than a g one.

Now I don't know if this will work the same as if you had two AT3s, but before you sell it you could try putting the ATV3 into conference room mode which allows airplay to multiple ATVs simultaneously.

8. iPhisch macrumors 6502

If you're looking for a cheap solution for your issue, the old G versions work just fine, I use one in my kid's room. It's gotta be at least 8 years old and streams perfectly. Cheaper than the HDMI audio extractor and you know it'll work. 20 bucks, Buy It Now. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Apple-Model...927161?hash=item4646d2be79:g:PjoAAOSwWnFV~gdQ
    I also use it in my garage so it gets unplugged and reconnected often, always works!
    I have the new N band version behind my tv along with my new Apple TV. I bought it but see no performance difference with the old one.

9. LiveM macrumors 6502a

LiveM

Doesn't the Airport Utility no longer work for the g version?

10. iPhisch macrumors 6502

The iPad app works just fine. Such a cheap alternative to get streaming audio AirPlay with a new Apple TV. Time to clean out eBay! Might pick up a few extras.

Attached Files:

11. fhall1 macrumors 68040

fhall1

20 bucks but almost $11 shipping

12. Cergman thread starter macrumors 6502a

Cergman

I have an AirPlay target with my Mac mini, but the issue is that connecting to it through the settings of the ATV stops audio output from the HDMI. As far as I can tell, you can't do both at once which is what I need.

13. JAT macrumors 603

You're using an audio receiver, right? Why can't that output to the other system?

14. Cergman thread starter macrumors 6502a

Cergman

Has no audio output besides speakers and one HDMI. Sony 840.

Attached Files:

15. JAT macrumors 603

Bummer. Well, you're going to have to spend a little something somewhere. Many suggestions above. Could also get a more appropriate receiver for a multiroom setup.

16. LiveM macrumors 6502a

LiveM

Two Airport Expresses will handle everything except surround sound.

17. Cergman thread starter macrumors 6502a

Cergman

I can't AirPlay to both from the ATV though, right? Or am I missing something?

18. LiveM macrumors 6502a

LiveM

You can from your Mac. Not sure if that means you can set things up as you like.

19. Cergman thread starter macrumors 6502a

Cergman

Is there a way to quickly airplay audio from the ATV4 without going through the settings. Is there a remote shortcut?

20. LiveM, Jan 1, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 1, 2016

LiveM macrumors 6502a

LiveM

Well, if you have your Express set as the audio destination then that is what it use until you change it.

If you do use your Mac you can Airplay music to both an Airport Express and Apple TV at the same time, or both Apple TVs (and an Express or two) if that helps.