Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MarvinHC

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 9, 2014
Belgium
I have had this problem for a while now, so maybe someone has a fix.

Very often my Apple TV 4 doesn't find my MacMini's library. All systems are up to date.

Often restarting the homeshare app on the Apple TV solves the issue, sometimes I have to restart the Apple TV altogether to make it work. It sometimes happens also on my ATV 3 but that one seems to be a lot more reliable.

Any ideas for a permanent fix?

HDFan

Contributor
Jun 30, 2007
That's my major beef with my pre-4K Apple TV. It looses network connections, particularly to HomeShare. Rebooting fixes the problem.

Reactions: kagharaht

steve62388

macrumors 68040
Apr 23, 2013
I have witnessed this sort of behaviour with Home Sharing and Airplay devices many times. A restart always seems to solve the problem but it's very frustrating. I have no idea what causes it or how to fix it. I'm guessing it's instability in the protocol.

waw74

macrumors 601
May 27, 2008
also try rebooting your router, i've seen that clear up problems with network broadcasts

HDFan

Contributor
Jun 30, 2007
Is your MacMini using DHCP or are you using a static IP address? I'm wondering if when you reboot with a new DHCP address that causes the problem because the Apple TV is using the old address.

I just changed my Network settings to DHCD with manual address to see if that makes a difference.

MarvinHC

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 9, 2014
Belgium
Is your MacMini using DHCP or are you using a static IP address? I'm wondering if when you reboot with a new DHCP address that causes the problem because the Apple TV is using the old address.

I just changed my Network settings to DHCD with manual address to see if that makes a difference.

The problem is not when I reboot, rebooting is the solution.

MarvinHC

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 9, 2014
Belgium
I'm talking about when you reboot your MacMini, not the Apple TV.
I know, but as said, rebooting either of the devices usually helps (and because it is faster I usually reboot the ATV).

Personally I don't mind that much but the ATV was supposed to be the 'easy family friendly' solution and this is kind of ruining that... ( I have trained the kinds in the meantime how to reboot the ATV.)

HDFan

Contributor
Jun 30, 2007
To repeat what I said earlier, is the MacMini getting its IP address via DHCP? On your MacMini open settings, network, and select your adapter (likely Ethernet, with the word "connected" underneath). If "Configure IPv4" is set to "Using DHCP " try changing it to "Using DHCP with manual address", specifying an IP address on your network that isn't being used by any other device.

When your Mini reboots using DHCP it may get a different IP address. If your Apple TV tries to connect using that old address, it isn't going to work. If the address doesn't change between MacMini boots then maybe it will fix the problem. Don't really know, but worth the try.

Screen Shot 2018-07-06 at 19.34.06.png
Screen Shot 2018-07-06 at 19.33.59.png

Reactions: MBAir2010

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
Is the Apple TV up to date ? Also try doing a "restore" under Settings > System

If ifs loosing connection only sometimes its not the Mac mini nor network settings, as if it was, it wouldn't work for anything else, not just Home sharing.

HDFan

Contributor
Jun 30, 2007
If ifs loosing connection only sometimes its not the Mac mini nor network settings, as if it was, it wouldn't work for anything else, not just Home sharing.

At any given time I can have many active network connections: Netflix, Plex, Infuse, Home Sharing, HBO, etc. Home Sharing can go down, possibly for the reason given above, but all of the others can be still be active. Internet can go down, taking Netflix, but not Plex server or home sharing on the the local network.

Of course, as you say, if the Apple TV loses network connectivity then everything goes down.

mavots

macrumors regular
Feb 15, 2019
Seattle, WA
I've been having this problem for a while now as well.
Ever since migrating from a 2010 Mac Pro to a 2018 Mac Mini.
Like the OP, ATV4 no longer automatically connect to iTunes on my Mini. This was almost never an issue with MP.
My "solution" has been to restart the ATV4 and the iTunes library appears.
I also use DHCP, however on weekends I do not shut down the Mini so the DHCP connection is always on. ATV shuts down between sessions of course.

There must be a solution to this. It is only since moving to the Mac Mini that this behavior presented itself.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.