ATV4 home sharing + Siri search ?

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by Che Castro, Oct 29, 2015.

1. Che Castro macrumors 603

with home sharing movies not working with universal search (siri) and Apple releasing a search api for developers

If apps like plex/simplex/air video get universal search support , Will you dump home sharing ?

Or maybe I'm getting my info wrong , can those apps add universal search in the future ?

2. Shawn Parr macrumors regular

I believe it is the same search API Apple released in iOS 9. For instance on an iPhone/iPad do a search for a show like Supernatural, it will bring up a listing showing available on iTunes and Netflix. Once the apps are updated to use the search API they should appear in the list also.

I'm hoping Apple will release an update to iTunes so that it can present results via the search API for home shared libraries, but we'll have to wait and see on that.

3. TurboPGT! macrumors 68000

That API has not been made available to developers yet with tvOS. Last we heard that would be "coming soon" to the tvOS SDK.

And yes I would drop home sharing for Plex or [ server_insert here_ streaming app], of which there will be dozens, if one gets Siri search built in.

4. Shawn Parr macrumors regular

Note: I don't do iOS or TVos development.

On the developer documentation they list the spotlight API for TVos. Isn't that the API that allows universal search with deep links in iOS 9? I'm guessing here, but wouldn't that be the API used to search when Siri is queried?