ATV4 in hotel room

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by chrisandersen, Nov 22, 2015.

1. chrisandersen macrumors 6502

chrisandersen

Traveling this week, so I thought I would take my new apple TV for a road trip. Just checked in and have my mac hooked up to the hotel's network. It shows up as being open, but when you connect, it ask you for your name and passcode they gave me at check-in. But the ATV connects, but (of course) never gets to that screen to log in. (My iPhone and iPad have the screen to log-in, too)
    My mac and IOS devices see the ATV as an airplay device, but will not connect. But, the funny thing is my pictures are still playing as a screen saver.
    Any ideas on how to connect to the Internet with a ATV in a hotel room that has a log-in screen?

2. Rigby macrumors 601

The only way to do this is using a travel router. Basically you authenticate the router's MAC address to the hotel network by logging in on a computer or iOS device, and then operate the Apple TV behind the router.

If you are looking for streaming services like Netflix, Amazon or Hulu, a Roku might be a better travel companion, since they recently added a "hotel and dorm" feature, which allows you to authenticate through the Roku using a phone. A cheap Roku 2 or even Roku Stick works fine. Or, you could simply connect an iOS device to the hotel TV using the Lightning/HDMI adapter.

3. chrisandersen thread starter macrumors 6502

chrisandersen

Well, I had a Verizon wifi box and that works great, just wanted to use the hotel's because of my 10G limit. Was just wondering why my pictures worked as screen savers if though I wasn't connected to the Internet. Does the ATV4 cache some of the pictures?

4. APlotdevice macrumors 68040

APlotdevice

The device he's talking about wouldn't use your data. It just sits (wirelessly speaking) between the hotel WiFi and your devices.

The Apple TV does cache your photos, yes.