ATV4 International Remote

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by MyopicPaideia, Oct 26, 2015.

1. MyopicPaideia macrumors 68000

MyopicPaideia

I have heard rumblings that the new ATV remote replaces the siri button with a manual search button, which in effect blocks siri functionality.

My question is if anyone with knowledge of this can comment on whether this is an actual hardware change, or if the buttons functionality is changed on a software level.

I notice, for example, that on Apple's Swedish site, the remote looks the same, including the microphone holes and the same graphic on the Siri button, but the microphones are not labeled in the schematic, they are completed ignored as if they aren't there, and the Siri burron is labeled simply "search" in the same schematic.

No mention of Siri is made at all in any of the marketing materials in the new ATV section including the technical details page, not even to mention that it is currently not available country/language. It is just the blanket "some features are limited in certain regions," etc.

2. haruhiko macrumors 68040

haruhiko

Apple TV Siri is only available in Australia, Canada, France, Germany, Japan, Spain, UK and US currently.... :(

Yes the photo of the remote is the same in the Apple TV Specs page outside of the above countries, including the hole for the mic. So I think it's the same remote and the Siri function only activates if you set your region to those countries.

3. dan1eln1el5en macrumors 6502

dan1eln1el5en

the remote is the same, only software function is different.

4. plexdk macrumors 6502

I live in denmark, but still use the USA region, since it has way more content.

Im happy to hear its the same remote, so that means i can use siri to the fullest :)

5. Farsider macrumors 6502

Farsider

6. blinkin182 macrumors regular

blinkin182

I'm reassured to at least see here: https://forums.developer.apple.com/thread/17228 that an Apple employee has specified it is the exact same hardware that will be shipped, so fingers crossed that it could be activated in your country when it get supported. I'm wondering whether it's a legal reason (privacy concerns etc.) or if it's only to do with making sure the dialects will be well understood, or if it's something to do with licensing of content... it's a bit baffling why some countries are supported but not others which speak the same language...

7. plexdk macrumors 6502

When Siri is set to Danish, it doesn't understand any English words.. I guess that's the reason, since most movie titles and actor names are in English.