ATV4 keeps resetting

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by shareef777, Dec 6, 2016.

1. shareef777 macrumors 68020

shareef777

Just got my AT4 from the DirecTV promo and after completing the initial setup I did an update (to 10.0.1) and it reset. Now anytime I do anything the system would reset. If I try to launch ANY app it would sit for a few seconds and then reboot. I can stay on the home screen all day and it would work fine (am able to move around without issue). The moment I attempt to launch any app it resets. I can't do a single single before it resets. I would go into settings and immediately start swiping down, but it wouldn't move. It'd just reset. Spoke to Apple who said that I need to speak with DirecTV (since it's within the 2 week period). Spoke with DirecTV and they said to speak with Apple. WTF!

2. d21mike macrumors 68040

d21mike

I would not think it is DIRECTV.

You may want to try and FORCE REBOOT. Hold the MENU + HOME until the light on the Apple TV Starts blinking very fast and let go. Or unplug and plug back in. I always only do the MENU + HOME when I have a major problem and seems to clear it up.

3. shareef777 thread starter macrumors 68020

shareef777

Tried that, same issue. I explained that to the AppleTV rep that I can't go to DirecTV as they'd just issue a refund of the cost of the AppleTV, which is $0. Going to have to take a chance and bring it in my local Apple Store.

4. d21mike macrumors 68040

d21mike

You may want to try a FULL RESET and reinstall everything before going to Apple Store. I would suspect they would do that anyway.

Good Luck.

UPDATE: DIRECT NOW just release a NEW VERSION TODAY. Maybe related.

5. shareef777 thread starter macrumors 68020

shareef777

To be clear, this is an issue with the AppleTV in general. Did a full factory reset via USB-C/iTunes, plugged in the AppleTV and went through the initial config. Would go to the home screen, but if I try to launch ANY factory default app (before I install anything else) it would restart. Even going into settings it'd reset. Spoke with DirecTV and they said that I'd have to return the AppleTV first, and then wait 2-3weeks for the replacemement. Apple is so damn ridiculous. They replaced my keyboard/battery on my 2012 rMBP at no charge 4.5 years after I bought it, but won't replace a day one defective AppleTV.
    --- Post Merged, Dec 6, 2016 ---
    Also hoping that the impending tvOS 10.1 fixed this issue, but it just seems so likely to be a hardware failure.