ATV4 life cycle

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by seadragon, Nov 4, 2015.

1. seadragon Contributor

Just a fun discussion, but I'm curious what everyone's thoughts are on the life cycle of the Apple TV. As we know, the ATV has traditionally not been on a yearly cycle like most of the other Apple products.

Personally, I think this trend will continue. My feeling is that they will keep the current ATV4 around for at least a couple of years. New features will be added via software/firmware updates rather than new hardware. We might even see 4K capabilities via such an update.

What do you think?

2. normanfox macrumors 6502a

ATV is not a hobby anymore. Apple will update more frequently. Since they introduce gaming, GPU and memory are never enough for graphic intense games. at least the next one will have 4K.

3. Mac... nificent macrumors 6502

I would be very surprised if the next hardware came before two years. Most of what they need can be handled via software upgrades, plus this makes the device more profitable for them. They have other products to focus on.

4. normanfox macrumors 6502a

if Apple is serious about games, software update will not cut it. Nvidia graphic cards are updated every years, and gamers are never satisfied with old cards.

5. Mac... nificent macrumors 6502

I don't think the Apple TV is geared toward hard core gamers. Lots of people just want to play and have fun, and aren't so anal about specs.

6. aneftp macrumors 601

Roku Google and even Amazon have gained ground quickly.

The Amazon Fire stick has sold like crazy the past 10 months it's been out. Mainly from prime members but also from those wanting to sideload Kodi/Xbmc on the cheap.

The future of streaming is now. Been huge growth the past 2 years with "cord cutters"

Apple should realize the potential in revenue. Problem is it takes two to tangle. And content is still key. And Hollywood is just as greedy as Apple. So both of them can't come to a resolution to offer a core number of channels to stream for X amount of money each month