ATV4 Netflix sound quality

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by martinlk, Oct 31, 2015.

1. martinlk macrumors member

martinlk

Hello

I noticed the sound quality seemed poor when watching an episode of Daredevil on Netflix last night. I've just done a side-by-side comparison with my PlayStation 4 playing the exact same episode, and sure enough, the sound quality is decidedly better when the episode is played back on the PS4. I did the same thing for the movie Watchmen, yielding the same results. The sound on the ATV4 *sounds* like it's a low sample rate or something like that. It's just a lot muddier and less involving to listen to. The same may apply to other sources, but I've only tested Netflix.

I'm running my ATV4 in stereo mode.

Anyone else notice this?

2. geesus macrumors regular

geesus

There is an audio setting on the drop-down menu while playing back content in the Netflix app - what is it set to for you?

3. martinlk thread starter macrumors member

martinlk

4. Knowlton82 macrumors newbie

Knowlton82

The sound quality on the new ATV is poor. It can't seem to use auto settings. So you will have to set it to Dolby Digital and if the sound is better then it's just bad luck. Lets hope that they will release a quick fix soon

5. vintimus macrumors regular

vintimus

Yea, I am seeing some really random problems with the sound. Some videos from Netflix/iTunes/etc will play fine, some like Bojack Horseman for example have no sound. Very frustrating. Will try that Dolby digital trick when I get home.

6. b1gted macrumors regular

b1gted

This is exactly what I found immediately playing ATV movies that I had purchases, and also when watching netflix. It appears that the AUTO setting in the audio section of the ATV doesn't work. I have to actually set it to Dolby Digital for it to actually use all 7.1 channels on my receiver.

7. iphonetravel macrumors member

8. geesus macrumors regular

geesus

Bump for this as I do think the sound quality of Netflix on the ATV4 is just poor, period. If I compare the same film, using the same scene on my PS4 it just sounds punchier. The ATV4 is just weedy in comparison, even if I ramp the volume up. I'm not sure if it is just the ATV4's sound quality in general being poor, or just the Netflix app. Anyone done any testing?