ATV4 Netflix SSL Connection Error

Discussion in 'Apple TV Apps' started by sladey, Mar 16, 2016.

1. sladey macrumors regular

My ATV4 worked OK with Netflix for a little while but now it comes up with either an "SSL Connection Error", or simply "we had trouble logging you in.

Yes I've tried everything. Rebooted Modem, Router, Apple TV. Deleted and reinstalled Netflix (many times). Turned off IPV6.

Netflix still works on my AppleTV3 and iPhone and Mac on the same network.

Any ideas? At the moment Netflix on ATV4 is a dead duck.

2. Marshall73 macrumors 6502a

Marshall73

Do a full reset of the Apple TV are you using any DNS proxy services?

3. sladey thread starter macrumors regular

I have done a full reset to no avail. Yes I am using a DNS proxy service. Which doesn't cause a problem on my apple tv 3 or any other device fin the house for netflix.

4. \-V-/ Suspended

\-V-/

Have you at least tried turning the DNS/proxy off and then try Netflix again?

5. sladey thread starter macrumors regular

If I set my DNS to "Auto", ie local settings Netflix finally works. Oddly though, if I log in to my US Netflix account with my ATV's location set as US and my iTunes account as US, I get access to Netflix's Australian (not US) content. *(I live in Australia). But when I search with Siri it searches US iTunes an USD Netflix content (which I cannot then view).

Meanwhile on my ATV3 I get access to US Netflix content. Not sure what I'm going to do about that. I could run 2 Apple TVs, ATV4 on Australian settings and ATV3 on US settings, but i'd rather not be switching.

6. ohio.emt macrumors 6502a

Without the DNS/Proxy a US account will show the content of the area where the device is located. It doesn't matter what country you have set in iTunes or on the Apple TV. Netflix see an AUS IP address and servers up that content. I think Siri pulls it's search results from an Apple server that goes by what location is set on the ATV.

I as for why the DNS/Proxy isn't working on the 4 vs the 3. I can't really say. It might have to do with their new policy of stopped location unblocking. I think they can update the 4th gens app easier then the 3rd. I think it still takes an apple update to update apps on the 3.

7. StevenWalker macrumors regular

Who is your smartdns provider, and what location server are you using?

8. sladey thread starter macrumors regular

UnblockUS, USA.

9. StevenWalker macrumors regular

All my family and friends use it and it never fails.

UnblockUS is known to be having major issues with the new NetFlix blocks.

Anyway, up to you - it's free so you have nothing to lose.

https://dns4me.net/what-do-i-get

10. StoneJack macrumors 6502a

StoneJack

I am in similar position. I use Unblockus to watch HBO Now, but if I use that proxy DNS for Netflix, it shows same error. On local setting, it works just fine. So I settled using proxy only on AppleTV 3rd generation and not using proxy for 4th generation on other TV, so both HBO and Netflix work albeit on different TVs.