ATV4 - Network Dropping Off

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by FatherOfTwo, Nov 6, 2015.

1. FatherOfTwo macrumors member

FatherOfTwo

Hi.

I have my ATV4 connected via Ethernet, all working fine. But if I leave it for a couple of hours and come back the network drops, no assigned IP address from the router.

I then have to go through a song and dance of rebooting the router and ATV4. Never had this on the previous ATV3.

Is this just me or has anyone else experienced this behaviour.

P.S all other connected devices to said router still work.

2. tromboneaholic macrumors 6502a

tromboneaholic

3. Shirley Schmidt macrumors newbie

Shirley Schmidt

I
    I had a similar issue. The current work around is to set up a static address (rather than DHCP).

4. Crazy Badger macrumors 65816

Crazy Badger

I've noticed that mine takes a little while to reconnect to the network, but it reconnects automatically.

I'm using a wired connection with a static IP.

5. Jme Saunders macrumors member

I've posted on here and a few other members have. No one seems to have come up with a solution yet. Can confirm I'm having the same problem. It can be reproduced easily when I'm streaming via Plex. I have all sorts of weirdness no Wi-Fi, but I have an IP. Sometimes I have no IP, but I'm connected. Other times the Wi-Fi network list is buggy.

I tried using a static IP, that didn't fix anything. I also turned of Direct Play, didn't do anything either. I know a few people are having problems. Coming from a Fire TV to the Apple TV and having to use Plex over simply plugging in the external hard drive means that I really need the network connections to be working.

Other users have tried to swap Wi-Fi with Ethernet and are experiencing issues. I might give tvOS 9.1 beta a go and see if that fixes anything. I'm trying to see if me, or another members can see a link. Plex does seem to be a common factor however.

6. FatherOfTwo thread starter macrumors member

FatherOfTwo

So I haven't had a problem for the past 48 hours. All I did was change my router from being a 5Ghz over to 2.4Ghz.

No drop off since then. Obviously a 2.4Ghz comes with its own limitations but fixed my issue, I understand that 9.1 has a fix for this.

I don't see this issue being app related.

7. Jme Saunders macrumors member

I'll give the 2.4GHz ago. Annoyingly, I live in terraced houses and I am plagued by 2.4GHz everywhere over every channel, which means I have speed issues. I'll give that a go. I seriously hope 9.1 has a fix for this.

8. Jme Saunders macrumors member

9. FatherOfTwo thread starter macrumors member

FatherOfTwo

10. Jme Saunders macrumors member

hahaha! Annoyingly, the 2.4GHz is just too slow for me to be able to reliably test it. Are you using Plex by the way?

11. FatherOfTwo thread starter macrumors member

FatherOfTwo

I was but I did a complete restore of my ATV4 and haven't installed Plex yet. But I was still having drop offs after the restore until I changed my network.