ATV4 not connecting via ethernet

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by MarioD, Jul 31, 2016.

1. MarioD macrumors newbie

hi all,
    I have strange problem that is confusing me. My device won't connect via ethernet but will connect to the same network I wirelessly without any problems.

When I plug in the cable a message pops up saying not connected to the Internet. If I connect my MacBook to via the very same cable there is no issue.

Any ideas where I can start looking for a solution?

2. d21mike macrumors 68040

d21mike

Did you manually change any of the settings like the DNS Server? That is all I can think of.

3. MarioD thread starter macrumors newbie

4. waw74 macrumors 68030

What's the other end of the cable going to?

Is it possible a cable got knocked out closer to your main router?
    Is it possible the port on the main router (or a switch in the middle) is configured differently?

Also have you tried another ethernet cable?

5. d21mike macrumors 68040

d21mike

I use AUTOMATIC.

In Setings / Network - look at all of your IP Address's. Except for the one titled "IP Address" where the last part is probably different the rest should be the same for both Ethernet and WiFi.

6. MarioD thread starter macrumors newbie

I have checked the cable and can connect via my laptop to the Internet via the Ethernet cable.
    --- Post Merged, Aug 2, 2016 ---
    I'll check that out, thanks

7. AL2TEACH macrumors 6502

just a note from various forums
    it will work better using wifi for some reason.

8. MarioD thread starter macrumors newbie

9. LAH1 macrumors newbie

I had this same problem on two ATV4's. What I discovered after a lot of research is that my router does not read the full MAC address. If you loose connectivity with your wired connection, the ATV senses this and connects wireless. This adds the second MAC address which because the router does not use the entire address looks like a duplicate. The solution was to go into the router and delete both MAC addresses and try to connect wired, and it will insert the MAC address for that connection. Every time you loose your wired connection, you will have to repeat the process to delete the MAC addresses. All my neighbors who have ATV4's have the same problem, which I fixed the same way. I use Century Link Prism for my internet.