ATV4 Remote App

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by Mightee, Nov 9, 2015.

1. Mightee macrumors member

Since the Remote App no longer functions on the new Apple TVs (which is absurd, by the way), does anybody know of a similar alternative? Half the reason I use this thing is to stream the music on my computer through to my stereo. I loved being able to do this from my phone. I sort of hate this thing without it.

2. NavySEAL6 macrumors 6502a

I'm thoroughly surprised apple hasn't updated the app yet. I suspect they want people to use the new remote, but the app has definite strengths like browsing music and the keyboard so I hope an update is happening

3. Rigby macrumors 601

This should still be possible with the ATV4. Enable Homesharing in iTunes, and you should see your library in the Remote app. Start playing a song and set your Apple TV as the "speaker".

4. playaproved macrumors 6502

This definitely works, did it yesterday without fail.

5. kelub macrumors regular

Actually, OP is right. The Remote app does not work with the new aTV4. If they're using a Mac, then they could control the mac with the remote after using AirPlay to connect to the aTV, I suppose.

My frustration is using the keyboard. The on-screen keyboard is frustrating to use, when I used to be able to just use my phone's keyboard for email address and password combos. I do hope they update the app soon and make it compatible.

6. x-evil-x macrumors 68030

x-evil-x

it is quite dumb the app doesn't work as far as controls for the new apple tv. I was using my apple watch remote app to scroll through my atv3 and now i can't use it. Hopefully its updated soon they should be adding a siri button to it.

7. ffd macrumors newbie

You can certainly still use the remote app to control iTunes on your computer and set airplay to the TV (or any other airplay speakers). It shouldn't actually be any different, in terms of outcome and usability, since you already had to leave your computer on to serve the music.

8. Charles85 macrumors newbie

what he means is that you can't use the app remote on the iPhone to type your username or password or navigate on the apple tv...this is different than just air playing something from the mac or iPhone and it was possible with the previous versions of apple tv...

9. APlotdevice macrumors 68040

APlotdevice

It does seem like a pretty major oversight to not update the app.

I presume that BT keyboard work with the new AppleTV? (they worked with the previous one)

10. Charles85 macrumors newbie

11. APlotdevice macrumors 68040

APlotdevice

Yeah, I figured that out a little bit after posting... *SIGH*