ATV4 & Siri - Playing a movie in local iTunes Library.

AFEPPL

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Sep 30, 2014
England
Anyone worked out the phrase or command to get Siri to play a movie you have sat in your local iTunes computer library? I can get to a movie I've purchased via iTunes, but not any of those sat locally on my computer.

Any pointers welcome..

richpjr

macrumors 68040
May 9, 2006
I guess I shouldn't be surprised. This isn't supported. Searching through HBO Go not supported, only HBO Now through Apple. They just want to funnel all subscriptions through Apple.

***EDIT - I was wrong, Siri does support searching through HBO Go.

Last edited:

MoodyM

macrumors 6502a
Aug 14, 2008
I was just about to head out and buy a new ATV, but thought I'd check online for the answer to this first - I have iTunes running on a Mac Mini with 1000s of TV shows and movies being shared via Home Sharing, and I have 3 older Apple TVs at home and it all works flawlessly. Every show and movie has had it's metadata properly inserted via iFlicks.

Since the ATV Siri/search feature cannot access this metadata, I'm out (for now)

MH01

Suspended
Feb 11, 2008
Damit, I bought the ATV so I could move all my content into iTunes and take advantage of Siri . No doubt this will be added in the future, though it's a basic requirement that should have been ready for launch. I'll give it 14 days and make a decision.

AFEPPL

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Sep 30, 2014
England
That's where I'm at now... i thinking i'll try it for a week and if it adds no value it's going back.
Apple must be having huge issues with returns this year. The AW mess and now this...!

Last edited:
Reactions: MH01

MoodyM

macrumors 6502a
Aug 14, 2008
Damit, I bought the ATV so I could move all my content into iTunes and take advantage of Siri . No doubt this will be added in the future, though it's a basic requirement that should have been ready for launch. I'll give it 14 days and make a decision.
I'll bet a pound to penny it will never be added. Apple want you to buy/rent from iTunes, not use your own content.

Reactions: MH01 and AFEPPL

MH01

Suspended
Feb 11, 2008
I'll bet a pound to penny it will never be added. Apple want you to buy/rent from iTunes, not use your own content.
Yeah you might be right . Be a shame though if it was not added , just due to greed