ATV4 & Siri - Playing a movie in local iTunes Library.

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by AFEPPL, Oct 30, 2015.

1. AFEPPL macrumors 68030

AFEPPL

Anyone worked out the phrase or command to get Siri to play a movie you have sat in your local iTunes computer library? I can get to a movie I've purchased via iTunes, but not any of those sat locally on my computer.

Any pointers welcome..

2. Deadeyeshark macrumors regular

Deadeyeshark

Doesn't have this capability, at least not yet.

Although, say Launch Home Sharing will take you to the menu.

3. richpjr, Oct 30, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2015

richpjr macrumors 68030

richpjr

I guess I shouldn't be surprised. This isn't supported. Searching through HBO Go not supported, only HBO Now through Apple. They just want to funnel all subscriptions through Apple.

***EDIT - I was wrong, Siri does support searching through HBO Go.

4. MoodyM macrumors 6502a

MoodyM

I was just about to head out and buy a new ATV, but thought I'd check online for the answer to this first - I have iTunes running on a Mac Mini with 1000s of TV shows and movies being shared via Home Sharing, and I have 3 older Apple TVs at home and it all works flawlessly. Every show and movie has had it's metadata properly inserted via iFlicks.

Since the ATV Siri/search feature cannot access this metadata, I'm out (for now)

5. MH01 macrumors G4

MH01

Damit, I bought the ATV so I could move all my content into iTunes and take advantage of Siri . No doubt this will be added in the future, though it's a basic requirement that should have been ready for launch. I'll give it 14 days and make a decision.

6. AFEPPL, Oct 31, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 31, 2015

AFEPPL thread starter macrumors 68030

AFEPPL

That's where I'm at now... i thinking i'll try it for a week and if it adds no value it's going back.
    Apple must be having huge issues with returns this year. The AW mess and now this...!

7. MoodyM macrumors 6502a

MoodyM

I'll bet a pound to penny it will never be added. Apple want you to buy/rent from iTunes, not use your own content.

8. MH01 macrumors G4

MH01

Yeah you might be right . Be a shame though if it was not added , just due to greed