ATV4 Turning On By Itself

DashSatan

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 29, 2011
I'll put the ATV4 to sleep with the remote then twenty minutes later it will turn on and continue playing whatever I was watching. It did this like 4 times last night while I was sleeping. I woke up to find my Netflix playing. I've restarted the device, unplugged it. It's still doing it. Any thoughts?

d21mike

macrumors 68040
Jul 11, 2007
Torrance, CA
Strange. Maybe somehow getting a Bluetooth signal from the SIRI Remote or ??? Since it restarts Netflix have to tried to CLOSE the Netflix App? Double TAP the Home Button then navigate to the App's to CLOSE and slide UP.

Reactions: Artimus12
Comment

the1payday

macrumors 6502
Jun 19, 2007
Amarillo, TX
Mines been doing it too. When it starts up again, in the Netflix app, closing the app entirely, or just going back to the homescreen has fixed it for me.

Comment

fpnc

macrumors 68000
Oct 30, 2002
San Diego, CA
I think this might be happening because of the Siri remote. I notice that my remote seems to generate phantom taps on its touch surface that cause the Apple TV to display its video overlays. This happens even when the remote is sitting by itself, untouched for many minutes on a table. I've also noticed that the touch surface will often stop working while I'm watching a video until I click a button on the remote, so it looks like the touch surface can have states where it is too sensitive or completely non-functional (asleep?). Basically, in my hands (literally) the touch surface doesn't work very well.

Comment

kschles

macrumors regular
Apr 3, 2008
I'll put the ATV4 to sleep with the remote then twenty minutes later it will turn on and continue playing whatever I was watching. It did this like 4 times last night while I was sleeping. I woke up to find my Netflix playing. I've restarted the device, unplugged it. It's still doing it. Any thoughts?
I had the same problem, which I talked about in another thread. Someone responded that I should try resetting the HDMI CEC setting on my TV. Once I figured out how to do that, it fixed the problem. I found the following article useful:

http://www.howtogeek.com/207186/how-to-enable-hdmi-cec-on-your-tv-and-why-you-should/

Comment

jeek

macrumors member
Mar 20, 2011
BTW I had the same issue last night (just bought it). I wonder if 9.0.1 fixed this, because killing the app doesn't seem like a proper fix. Will update this thread tomorrow on what I find.

Comment

jeek

macrumors member
Mar 20, 2011
It hasn't happened at all yet, and the TV has been off for hours. I think the update fixed it.

Comment