Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jamesk811

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 23, 2015
Hi all,

One annoying thing about my ATV4 is that the volume controls only control my TV which is pointless to me as my TV volume is off. I have my ATV4 and all other devices (eg cable box and Xbox) plugged into my Bose module as i have surround sound. Is there any way of using my Apple TV control to put the volume up or down on my Bose rather than the TV?

The weirdest thing is my Apple TV isn't even plugged in directly to the TV so I don't know how its controlling it??

maverick808

macrumors 65816
Jun 30, 2004
Scotland
Did you do learn remote in settings? If you do that it should be able to act like whatever remote you use to control your Bose volume just now.

Shawn Parr

macrumors regular
Oct 31, 2008
My Panasonic TV has options for HDMI-CEC to either control the TV speakers or a home theater system for volume control. I have the speakers in the TV turned off, but when I set it to home theater the volume controls for the TV changes the volume on my Denon receiver.

My ATV 4 hasn't arrived yet, but I've spent time this week playing with CEC to see how it might work.

Beat in mind your TV may have another name for CEC, my Panasonic calls it Viera link.

netnothing

macrumors 68040
Mar 13, 2007
NH
Anyone know how to program the remote? Says nothing in the docs.

By default the ATV will auto detect your devices. For me, it detected my TV, but the Receiver IR setting for my Yamaha didn't work. Think it has something to do with ARC being on the devices. ARC was off on my receiver. You can turn ARC on on your devices and see if it just works. If not, go into the remotes and devices settings and learn the IR codes.

Have to say I'm impressed with how well it works. Years of learning IR commands with a Harmony remote....half the time it doesn't work. Apple's setup was flawless.

-Kevin

Reactions: Jamesk811

ohsnap

macrumors regular
Aug 5, 2004
By default the ATV will auto detect your devices. For me, it detected my TV, but the Receiver IR setting for my Yamaha didn't work. Think it has something to do with ARC being on the devices. ARC was off on my receiver. You can turn ARC on on your devices and see if it just works. If not, go into the remotes and devices settings and learn the IR codes.

Have to say I'm impressed with how well it works. Years of learning IR commands with a Harmony remote....half the time it doesn't work. Apple's setup was flawless.

-Kevin

Oh I see where now. That worked very well thanks.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.