ATV4 vs Amazon Fire Tv vs Fire Stick vs Chromecast

Discussion in 'Apple TV Apps' started by GadgetGeek407, Dec 20, 2016.

1. GadgetGeek407 macrumors 6502a

Hey gang,
    I run everything apple at home from computers iPads phones etc. Recently upgrading from ATV2 to ATV4 after finding out Kodi can be loaded.

What are the differences between these other options and are any of these better or the same?

2. benjitek macrumors 6502a

benjitek

I've tried them all and wound up preferring the 2016 Roku Streaming Stick as my secondary option, I also have the ATV4. The FireTV Stick is laggy compared to the Roku Stick, and the FTV Plex app is antiquated on the FTV, and FTV-Stick as well as being less frequently updated. The Chromecast I tried is in a junk drawer.

3. GadgetGeek407 thread starter macrumors 6502a

So is ATV your primary?

4. benjitek, Dec 20, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 20, 2016

benjitek macrumors 6502a

benjitek

It was, but it turns out the 2016 Roku Streaming Stick is better for most of what I use a streamer for. The UI isn't as pretty as the ATV4, but once you're in the app you're using, that doesn't matter.

I'm pretty much just using the ATV4 for DirecTV Now, only because there isn't a Roku app for it yet. I don't think there's currently a single streaming hardware option that fits-all, it's pretty common to have a couple.

5. tanfan macrumors regular

I agree, Roku gives the most options but, I find the Roku stick laggy compared to the 3, 4 or the new Ultra I just bought. I use the Ultra as my main device.

6. benjitek macrumors 6502a

benjitek

Yes, I've heard that about the original Roku stick, glad I don't have that one. The 2016 model has a quad-core processor, haven't run into any lag issues myself. The FTV stick I received with my DirecTV Now subscription was extremely slow.

7. nburwell macrumors 68040

nburwell

We're an all Apple home with MBP's, iPad's, iPhone's, Apple Watches, and two ATV4's. So the ATV's work best for us. However, we're not fans of AirPlaying Amazon content to the ATV, so we're looking at the Roku Stick for just the Amazon content. I agree that there is not one single streaming device that is one size fits all.

8. eyeseeyou macrumors 68000

Atv is my primary with a fire stick for kodi and sometimes YouTube sessions since google only offers "add to queu" on chromecast and or the fire stick and not on the Apple TV.
    --- Post Merged, Jan 5, 2017 ---
    How can you load kodi on the Apple ?

9. tanfan macrumors regular

If you need itunes, your right but, if you don't there are some nice options out there.