ATV4 vs Mac mini for HTPC

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by stix666, Jan 16, 2016.

1. stix666 macrumors regular

I had read a fair bit of negative feedback about ATV4 and delayed buying one until now. I use a 2009 Mac mini with Plex, media on a synology diskstation all connected by ethernet.

I must say I really like the ATV4. I'm using Infuse instead of Plex which has poorer library and server functionality, but seems to play Dolby TrueHD and DTS/ DTS-hd by pass-through to my AV amp. The remote is really good for scrubbing through scenes. Hopefully Siri will soon work with Infuse. Playback is completely stutter-free.

I'm probably going to stop using the mac mini as a HTPC.

2. MacFanBoi macrumors regular

Im also running a synology nas and atv4 as my media player setup and couldn't be happier with how well they perform. I currently have 2 atv4's and a 3rd will be coming because of how well they work. I used to run a atv3 around the house just for netflix and a couple wdtv live media players to watch my other tv eps and movies which was a pain having to switch inputs and more remotes but now the atv4 and plex have eliminated that problem.

The only thing i'm not a fan of is the neflix user interface on the atv4 is crap compared to the previous atv3 but I'll just have to deal with that since I don't see netflix changing that anytime soon.

3. brand macrumors 601

brand

Since the AppleTV 4 is an appliance and not a PC it can not serve the purpose of a HTPC.