ATV4 vs. Roku Stick 2016: Better Plex and Amazon Clients

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by benjitek, Apr 5, 2016.

1. benjitek, Apr 5, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 5, 2016

benjitek macrumors 6502a

benjitek

Tried all 3 of the new streaming box models when they came out. Returned everything except the ATV4, much nicer overall compared to the Roku 4 and FireTV 2. Amazon Video supports AirPlay casting which is OK, but it ties up my phone. The ATV4's Plex client is OK, but the platform overall doesn't have the feature set and more active development native to the Roku platform.

Enter the newly announced Roku Stick that wedges in better options for what I'm missing >and< WiFi audio to my iPhone which can be piped out over Bluetooth. Along with that comes a far superior Plex client. The method for wireless audio hooked me into preordering, a great way to hear iPhone alerts and listen to TV with Bluetooth headphones. Definitely not an ATV4-replacement, but bridges a few gaps until developers catch up :) Reasonably priced @ $50...

2. Mac... nificent macrumors 6502

It's OK but no way to watch live TV, plus I definitely would NOT want to use my phone as the remote :apple:

3. benjitek thread starter macrumors 6502a

benjitek

Just as with Apple's Remote app, it's there if you want it -- the Stick also comes with a physical remote. Thanks though for stopping by...

4. Mac... nificent macrumors 6502

Does the physical remote support voice commands? Even so it's still nicer than chromecast.

5. benjitek, Apr 5, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 5, 2016

benjitek thread starter macrumors 6502a

benjitek

If you're curious about it, you might want to look at the product page. The remote doesn't do voice search, but the iOS and Android apps do... You're right about it being a better option than Chromecast -- especially as Chromecast lacks wireless audio.

Screenshot of iTunes (4-5-16, 10-33-04 PM).png