ATV4k keeps asking for iTunes store password

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by Derek87, Apr 4, 2018.

1. Derek87 macrumors 6502

since updating to 11.3, every day or two, i have found the Apple TV asking for my password for my Apple ID associated with the iTunes store.

i have no clue why... i have it set to "Never" ask for a password for purchases/rentals.

2. NameUndecided macrumors 6502a

Mine did the same and I thought it was glitching because I just recently unsubscribed from Netflix that I was signed up on through iTunes, and signed into Netflix using a different account -- so I figured Netflix was continuing to ask for my password, looking for my iTunes linked account (even though it's signed into the other account just fine). Boy I hope I didn't word that too confusingly.

I didn't think to notice that it hasn't asked for my password in a couple days, not since my Apple TV upgraded, actually. Sooo… my upgrade seemed to fix the problem? That probably doesn't help you much. Hi.

3. verdi1987 macrumors regular

I have been having this problem since around a week ago. It first manifested itself on my iPhone X. I would get the prompt at least once a day when opening an app. (The apps that triggered the prompts have been different.) I tried signing out of the iTunes Store and iCloud, rebooting, and signing back in again; but that did not resolve it.

Then a few days later it started happening on my iPhone 8 Plus. Then, yesterday, it happened on my Apple TV 4K.

Just today it has happened at least five times between my two iPhones. The iPhone X and Apple TV are running the latest betas, but the iPhone 8 is running 10.3 GM, so it is not a beta issue.

It has not yet happened on my iPad Pro, and I hope it remains that way. This is becoming very frustrating.

Like @NameUndecided, I, too, thought Netflix may have been triggering the prompt, but I have signed out of Netflix on all my devices, and it is still happening. I will try completely deleting the app.

4. Tech198 macrumors G5

It *is* an issue if its a beta , which is as you said on Apple TV and iPhone X specifically.

5. verdi1987 macrumors regular

Yes, but it is also happening on my iPhone 8 Plus running iOS 10.3 GM.

6. mpainesyd macrumors 6502

mpainesyd

i have a related problem with iOS apps from the iTunes store that might give you some insight into the ATV problem. I still (try to) use iTunes 12.6.3 for managing apps on my iOS devices. However it keeps prompting me for passwords. Eventually I realised this is because my apps were purchased over several generations of AppleIDs (username, username@mac.com, username@me.com & username@icloud.com !). It seems that iTunes treats these as different purchase IDs and when it goes through the list of apps it asks for the password each time this changes. Very frustrating!
    As it happens I have only used one variation of my AppleID to purchase tvOS apps so hopefully I won’t encounter the problem on my ATV.

7. CaTOAGU macrumors 6502a

This kind of thing has been happening on and off for years for me. My iPhone used to do it as did my Mac now those have stopped but my Apple TV has started asking at seemingly random intervals. I fully expect it'll circle back to my iPhone in a few months time. It's not really clear to me why it asks as cancelling still seems to results in everything working.

8. Tech198 macrumors G5

'Golden Master. A golden master build (GM) is typically the final build of a piece of software in the beta stages for developers."

https://www.theiphonewiki.com/wiki/Golden_Master

so techniocally, you could also say, that's why it happens on GM.

9. verdi1987 macrumors regular

OK. Well, “public release” is what I intended to say.