ATV4K not showing UHD resolutions.

MasturB

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 31, 2014
TV: LG UH6100
HDMI Cable: AmazonBasics HighSpeed 4K HDMI Cable (purchased a few weeks ago)
Model: A1625 (32 GB)
tvOS: 13.2

I cannot get the 4K resolution to show up. I went in LG TV settings and the port I'm using for ATV has HDR turned on. All 3 HDMI ports support HDR/UHD.

Resolution options in the menu. UHD resolutions do not show up in "Other Resolutions" either.

Picture of 4K movie in MoviesAnywhere. Notice it says "this device does not support 4K playback".

I have almost 100 4K movies that I've redeemed in MoviesAnywhere or bought in iTunes. I am aware that Disney movies do not play in 4K on iTunes app, but they do show as being 4K in MA but the same "This Device does not support 4K playback" message shows up there too. That includes all the 4K movies I have from Warner, Lionsgate, Paramount, Sony that do have 4K movies in iTunes. As far as I know, Disney is the only provider that does not allow their movies in 4K in iTunes.

I noticed on the Disney+ App I tried to watch the old Star Wars movies, but under the PLAY button it only says HD and 5.1, under Details it says the movie is available in UHD/HDR formats.

Anyone have any suggestions?

HDFan

macrumors 68000
Jun 30, 2007
Is this a new installation? Of Apple TV or TV? Do you still have the HDMI cable that came with the Apple TV? Does that work, or do you have another one that you can try? Do you have any other 4K sources that you can test with that cable?

MasturB

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 31, 2014
Is this a new installation? Of Apple TV or TV? Do you still have the HDMI cable that came with the Apple TV? Does that work, or do you have another one that you can try? Do you have any other 4K sources that you can test with that cable?
There is no HDMI cable that came with the ATV4K. I bought this ATV4K from Best Buy in December 2018. I know 100% sure it's an ATV4K. I don't have any other 4K items in the house I can test it with. I can bring it over to my brother's house with this same HDMI cable and ATV4k.

I've had the ATV4K for almost a year, but I recently bought this LGUHDTV and that's why I ordered this HDMI cable specifically for this. I was using the ATV4K on standard HDTV's for the last 10 months until I got this UHDTV.

CNebs

macrumors regular
Feb 23, 2018
Northern VA
Have you confirmed the model number of your device? From that screen shot I think you have the model before the 4K model came out. A1625 is the 4th gen HD model, A1842 is the 4K model. Go to Settings -> General -> About

If it is A1625, but the box your purchased it in says 4K someone swapped it out.

If it is A1842, your cable isn’t able to support 4K transmission. So my next question is how long is your HDMI cable?

Reactions: bbednarz

BODYBUILDERPAUL

macrumors 68000
Feb 9, 2009
Barcelona
Have you tried the Apple recommended and tested Belkin cable? This is the only one that I recommend for the Apple TV 4K.

Also, is Fast Start switched ON? If it's OFF, then you'll only get 1080p.

Last edited:

bbednarz

macrumors 65816
Nov 16, 2017
Chicago
Does your Apple TV have a USB-C port on the back? The HD has USB-C and the 4K model does not.

If it does not have a USB-C port on the back I would try a different cable. I use the rocketfish ones from Best Buy. Only like $15 or something. I've never had any issues with them and the picture has been fantastic. Works with the highest settings the Apple TV supports.

loekf

macrumors 6502a
Mar 23, 2015
Nijmegen, The Netherlands
TV: LG UH6100
HDMI Cable: AmazonBasics HighSpeed 4K HDMI Cable (purchased a few weeks ago)
Model: A1625 (32 GB)
tvOS: 13.2

I cannot get the 4K resolution to show up. I went in LG TV settings and the port I'm using for ATV has HDR turned on. All 3 HDMI ports support HDR/UHD.
This is a 4th gen HD AppleTV, so not the 4K model:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT200008
A1625 is definitely not the 4K one. You need the A1842 model. Apple changed the packaging last year. Now the HD version is marked aTV HD on the side.

Last edited:

MasturB

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 31, 2014
This is a 4th gen HD AppleTV, so not the 4K model:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT200008
A1625 is definitely not the 4K one. You need the A1842 model. Apple changed the packaging last year. Now the HD version is marked aTV HD on the side.
Son of a *****

My best buy receipt from 11/18/19 confirms I paid for a 4KTV (price and model) But the settings menu suggests my model is a not 4K. So someone switched it out when I bought it last year.
- - Post merged: - -

Have you confirmed the model number of your device? From that screen shot I think you have the model before the 4K model came out. A1625 is the 4th gen HD model, A1842 is the 4K model. Go to Settings -> General -> About

If it is A1625, but the box your purchased it in says 4K someone swapped it out.

If it is A1842, your cable isn’t able to support 4K transmission. So my next question is how long is your HDMI cable?
This is the issue.

I went A1625 in my OP because thats what it said in the Settings. But box, receipt and everything else suggests I "bought" the 4K version.

BODYBUILDERPAUL

macrumors 68000
Feb 9, 2009
Barcelona
Son of a *****

My best buy receipt from 11/18/19 confirms I paid for a 4KTV (price and model) But the settings menu suggests my model is a not 4K. So someone switched it out when I bought it last year.
- - Post merged: - -

This is the issue.

I went A1625 in my OP because thats what it said in the Settings. But box, receipt and everything else suggests I "bought" the 4K version.
And THIS is why I prefer to buy Apple product from the Apple Store!
DAMN, I hope that you get this sorted - what a horrible disgrace.

MasturB

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 31, 2014
It didn't look like a return... it was in the actual plastic wrap, not a returned looking shrinkwrap. And usually best buy returns have the open item sticker on them. This one didn't. I highly doubt I can get anything done about it... it's been almost a year. Guess I am out of that 20-30 bucks I paid for the higher price.

CNebs

macrumors regular
Feb 23, 2018
Northern VA
It didn't look like a return... it was in the actual plastic wrap, not a returned looking shrinkwrap. And usually best buy returns have the open item sticker on them. This one didn't. I highly doubt I can get anything done about it... it's been almost a year. Guess I am out of that 20-30 bucks I paid for the higher price.
Yea, too late and when I was younger the Best Buy I worked at had a shrink wrap device that could seal them up like new.

HDFan

macrumors 68000
Jun 30, 2007
This one didn't. I highly doubt I can get anything done about it...
Does your receipt have the serial number on it? Does it match your unit? Assuming there is a way to cross-check model numbers with serial numbers, you could show them the receipt and say "the receipt shows that I purchased a 4K unit. The serial number shows that the unit I received was not 4K. Can you do something about it?"

I have found Best Buy to be very accommodating. Worth a shot.

-Gonzo-

macrumors 6502
Nov 14, 2015
Even though both the ATV4(HD) and the ATV4K do look very similar there are 2 ways of telling them apart just by looking at them without turning them on.
1) as already mentioned the ATV 4 has a USB C port on the back whereas the ATV4K doesn’t.

2) ATV4

ATV4K