ATV4K Remote Lag Remediation

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by LarryJoe33, Dec 28, 2018.

1. LarryJoe33 macrumors 65816

LarryJoe33

Ok, got one of these new bad boys for Christmas to replace my very old ATV. I am experiencing the remote lag which is disappointing. I have googled here and the web and it seems there are a few possible remedies related to BT interference:

Move the unit

Shut off the mic

Change Chroma to 4.2 whatever Chroma is?

Shut off HDR

Get a new HDMI Apple recommended Belkin cable.

I am thinking #5. I just unplugged my old ATV and used the power cord and the HDMI from the old unit. The HDMI was an Apple HDMI bought at the Apple Store when I bought the old ATV. Should I be using the 4K power cord? Everything about the unit works great. The ATV remote app on my phone works perfectly, but that's through wifi I believe.

Any tips?

2. BODYBUILDERPAUL macrumors 65816

What is it that you are doing that is causing lag? Is it when using the trackpad? If so, there is a setting for it in 'Settings'. I have mine on 'Fast' - I experienced lag when on the default setting. Then again, I even have my MacBook trackpad on fast - when I use all MacBook / MacBook Pro trackpads in Apple stores, they seem laggy to me when left in the default setting.
    Give it a try buddy!

Oh my gosh, your old HDMI cable is certainly not the correct one for the 4K Apple TV. It's a bit like buying a top spec Ferrari and keeping old Ford Focus wheels and tyres on it!!! Enough said huh! :)

3. Cell-666 macrumors 6502a

Cell-666

100% you'll need to change your HDMI cable. Don't waste your time messing with setting as it make very small differences. Grab a Belkin and all your problem will be cured.

https://www.apple.com/uk/shop/produ...a26ef0532b92ab624eaa88aa7499351cd909406ad0a15

4. LarryJoe33 thread starter macrumors 65816

LarryJoe33

Thanks, ordered it and will pickup at Apple Store tonight. Wish they made something shorter than 6 feet.

Power cable ok to reuse? Trying to avoid pulling things apart.

5. Cell-666 macrumors 6502a

Cell-666

Yeah power is fine, HDMI and you will be sorted :D What TV are you using?

6. LarryJoe33 thread starter macrumors 65816

LarryJoe33

Thank you. I have a 5 year-old Sharp Aquos LED 56". It's on it's way out as it's developing a black fuzz spot that's getting larger and larger and it most noticeable when watching golf.

I'm starting my research on 75" 4k options. All ears if you have already done some homework!

7. Cell-666 macrumors 6502a

Cell-666

It's so dependant on budget really. But minimum you need a 4K hdr which can display HDR10, Dolby Digital. This where the ATV4K works at it max.

8. LarryJoe33 thread starter macrumors 65816

LarryJoe33

Thanks. I’m a former audio/video phile. Still in my blood but went through a divorce 5 years ago and left all my stuff behind which is old technology now. 7:1 wired surround. Denon receiver, infinity towers and channels. Multiple subs.

I’m now rocking a sound bar which actually isn’t too bad with the Bluetooth sub.

I’m seeing 75” 4K LEDs for $1500 , larger than that the price jumps a lot. OLED would be sweet.

9. waw74 macrumors 68030

if it's just the remote that slow or unresponsive, it runs on bluetooth, so probably wireless interference

mine is stuck behind the TV, i had problems till i moved it closer to the edge of the screen.

If it's close to your router, the 2.4gHZ wifi can interfere, try moving it to the opposite side of the TV or further apart.

you can also reboot the remote hold menu and vol+ for a few seconds, you'll see a notice on the TV.

10. LarryJoe33 thread starter macrumors 65816

LarryJoe33

I installed the belkin cable last night and it’s better. But it still doesn’t seem to be as responsive vertically as it is horizontally. Maybe that part of the design?

Just to be clear, scrolling side to side is responsive and fast. It moves across the screen quickly and accurately. Scrolling up and down is still a bit cumbersome. One icon at a time for a pretty good swipe. A similar side to side swipe would send it across the screen, maybe two or three icons.

Does yours work this way? Maybe I got a bad remote?

Unrelated, my set up defaulted to 1080p SDR. I tried HDR and it looked washed out. Went back to SDR.

11. BODYBUILDERPAUL macrumors 65816

Again, try the settings for the trackpad. Select 'fast'.

12. LarryJoe33 thread starter macrumors 65816

LarryJoe33

I did/have. I am on fast.

13. waw74 macrumors 68030

one thing that helps if it's being touchy,
    you can tap the 4 sides to move one "space", (tap top to move up one, etc)

it's a little more precise than trying to swipe

14. LarryJoe33 thread starter macrumors 65816

LarryJoe33

NICE! Thank you. I like this much better.

15. Cell-666 macrumors 6502a

Cell-666

As waw74 said the tap on the four corners works great. I tend to use that action the most the physical remote, but, doesn't work on the iPhone/iPad app. Although swiping works better using the app...go figure