ATVS Power up every 15 minutes

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by Macman45, Mar 21, 2012.

1. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

I've had this before with my ATV 2, and after a while I just got used to it. But now, both the newbie and the two, power up every 15 mins. Blue light pops on, then goes off after about 20 seconds.

I was curiious, so watched my modems activity light, and sure enough they are both polling the connection...Anyone else noticed this?

2. hopegrad macrumors newbie

I've got the same thing going on over here. I wonder if there is a way to modify the power-up settings.

3. Macman45 thread starter macrumors demi-god

Macman45

Nope, I've played with everything, Im going tomdropman email to my Apple guru, it's no problem, I'm wondering if it may have something to do with Photostream? A wild guess...:)

4. RolledUp20s macrumors regular

i have the new one, it doesn't do that. when im done watching it i hold the middle button down, it powers down (light off) however if im on my iphone watching a vid for example i have the option to airplay still which will auto-wake the ATV. but it doesnt turn on itself.. - thats my bit anyway :)

5. Macman45 thread starter macrumors demi-god

Macman45

This happens when they are both idle, bears no correlation to which device I'm using...IMac, MBP, MBA, iPhone or my iPad...it's as regular as clockwork too. Odd, a ghost in the machine?:)

It doesn't effect the performance of the units at all....The one in my bedroom is using wifi, the one in my lounge is hard wired, both come up properly when streaming is required.

6. Stuipdboy1000 macrumors 6502a

Stuipdboy1000

I must say, this is something I've noticed as well. I'll turn it off at night and when I come downstairs in the morning it will have it's little indicator light on.

I did notice this problem on the old Apple TV too but it certainly wasn't as frequent.

7. Macman45 thread starter macrumors demi-god

Macman45

Yep, if you watch it, it will flick off too. Internet activity is definetly taking place...I'm going with Photostream as I can't think of anything else.

8. chenks macrumors 6502a

chenks

i have photostream disabled/turned off, and i see it on both my devices (one more often than the other), so i can't see it being photostream.

it happens with the TV on and with the TV off.

1 ATV is ethernet connected and the other is WIFI.

9. Macman45 thread starter macrumors demi-god

Macman45

Yep, exactly the same as mine....okay Photostream was a long shot....:) I'm going to find out though....just curious, like I said, it has no effect on the performance of either device.

10. chenks macrumors 6502a

chenks

automatic timezone setting maybe?
    or auto diagnostics error reporting ?

11. darster Suspended

Close out iTunes on your computer. It's communicates with the program and thus the light comes on even in sleep mode. When I have the program closed, it does not do this.

12. chenks macrumors 6502a

chenks

i'm not convinced that is the entire issue to be honest.
    if that was the case then both my appletv's would be doing it the same amount of time - and they don't.

on one of the appletv's it even does it when the TV gets powered on. something else is triggering it, and i suspect it is HDMI handshake related.

13. Macman45 thread starter macrumors demi-god

Macman45

It's not...Itunes is closed, the behaviour persists...I think error reporting MIGHT have something to do with it...I've emailed my buddy.

14. helios410 macrumors newbie

Any updates on this?

15. Macman45 thread starter macrumors demi-god

Macman45

Not yet, my buddy is in senior sales, and my other friend is a tech. But she's on vacation....The behaviour is apexactly the same. I have watched my modem lights, and they are both paging the Internet when they flick on.

I doubt it's error reporting, they do it too often. It's got my fascinated. It has no effect on the performance of either of mine, both come to life when asked, and work perfectly....I'm wondering of it could be something as simple as adjusting the time as posted above. I guess with time being important on rented movies and stuff that could just be it.

I can't think of anything else....UNLESS they put a hidden camera there...:D:D:D

I will post here when my buddy gets back to me...she's back next week.

16. helios410 macrumors newbie

It's funny you say that because this experience with this device has reminded me of Orwell's 1984.

I turned off the automatic time zone sync, but the behavior persists unfortunately.