Atypical battery behavior?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by ideal.dreams, May 26, 2015.

1. ideal.dreams macrumors 68020

ideal.dreams

42 mm Apple Watch Sport, had it for a month on Thursday. Battery life seems very inconsistent. I took it off the charger this morning at 7:30 AM. It's almost 3:00 PM now and the percentage is at 69%. Does this sound normal? I've been comparing battery with my dad's stainless 42 mm Apple Watch and his watch always seems to have a higher percentage than mine, even though he often pulls his off the charger before I do. I know usage plays a role here but is usage is usually very close to mine and his seems to get better battery life.

I've restored the watch a few times (by unpairing and repairing) and it seems to fix it for a few days but now it's back to draining what seems like very quickly.

Just wanting to get a feel for whether or not this sounds unusual before I call Apple and see what's up.

Anyone?

2. eww7633 macrumors regular

You're right, it totally depends on usage. I can't say that I really have any way to tell you that what you are experiencing is odd or not. I would have Apple run a battery diagnostics on your watch. If it passes, then the hardware itself is fine.

3. melman101 macrumors 68030

Do you have third party app glances? I noticed if they are not programmed well enough and they are trying to download data, sometimes they keep the connection open and wear down your battery.

That being said, I took my watch off at 7am, and it's now 3pm and I'm at 80%. But I barely used my watch today.

42mm Milanese.

4. Newtons Apple Suspended

Newtons Apple

If you charged it for the time you indicated and it was only at 69% then there is either a battery or charger problem. OR the puck is not mounted flush to the back of the watch.

5. ideal.dreams thread starter macrumors 68020

ideal.dreams

Interesting thought about those glances. I do have two glances from third-parties; I removed and re-added them. I'll be interested to see if that has any effect. If not I'll remove them and see if that does instead.

Please reread the original post - my battery was at 100% this morning at 7:30 AM when I took it off the charger and was down to 69% by 3:00 PM.

6. zombivenator macrumors member

With normal use through the day (just getting notifications, responding to texts, etc) I typically see a 10% drop in battery every 3 hours or so.