Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

keferunk

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 8, 2005
I wanted to put a book on tape onto my iPod, so I connected my PowerBook G4 to my cassette deck and was able to import a tape's worth onto my hard drive using Audacity. I then exported as an AIFF. So far so good. The quality seems fine. I can replay it using Quicktime. The problem is this--I thought I could just drag the AIFF file into the iTunes library and then convert to AAC to copy to the iPod. iTunes will not show the file in the library, though. I also tried File->Add to Library, but that does not bring the file into iTunes either. Each time, the green plus sign shows up as if it's working, but it never appears. OS X 10.3.9, iTunes 4.7.1, 1Gig RAM. Is there some conversion step that I am missing here?

keferunk

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 8, 2005
Found the answer on Audacity Wiki

I was exporting the file as 32-bit AIFF, but iTunes can only import a 16-bit AIFF. I opened the file again in Audacity and then re-exported with the 16-bit setting and then it went into iTunes, where I then had to convert to AAC. I will try the Quicktime solution for the next tape, as it cuts out a step. Thanks!

dsharits

macrumors 68000
Jun 19, 2004
Plant City, FL
You're welcome. Just a tip, if you upgrade Quicktime 7 to Pro, it includes a recorder function that automatically saves as Mp4 or H.264, cutting the export time down to zero. It works great. Try it if you get the opportunity.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.