Audacity Settings Help?

Jedi5

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 16, 2009
North Burbs, IL
Alright, I know Audocity on a PC but for the life of me, I can't figure out Audocity for Mac.

Right now, Audocity is recording using the microphone.
How I change the settings so it doesn't record off the mircrophone?

I'm using external speakers... not sure if that makes a difference.

Trying to record music off Youtube is all.

Help?

Makosuke

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2001
The Cool Part of CA, USA
Normally, you just select the desired sound input from either the Preferences or the drop-down near sound levels at the top of the window.

However, it sounds like you're trying to record off internal sound--grabbing YouTube audio. Which is not, technically, an audio input--you want to record audio OUT.

To my knowledge, to do that you'll need one of the many shareware (or probably freeware) apps designed for redirecting audio from output to a file or other internal audio recorder. Searching for "record audio" or something similar on VersionTracker.com or MacUpdate.com should come up with a bunch of options.

Jedi5

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 16, 2009
North Burbs, IL
I've tried a few different apps out there and the ones I tried, all recorded from mic. Still can't find what I'm looking for.

I googled and went back to the audocity help and I keep reading of soundflower to use with AC.

I tried using soundflower with AC and could get no audio whatsoever.

Someone using SF with AC help me out as to what settings I should be using?

zeemeerman2

macrumors 6502
Feb 21, 2010
You can even use other apps not made for recording sound like you want.

For example: Snapz Pro X
It's a screen recording app much like QuickTime X* does.

From my knowledge, in the app, you can record video, and sound from your audio output, and from your mic. (As options are shown.)

Eventually, after your recording session, you have the option to choose your compression.

Just toggle off "Include video track" (which is odd for a video recording app's purpose) and you're good to go.

* I'm still using regular Leopard, can't share info about QuickTime X whether it does the same or not. ;)