Audacity Settings Help?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Jedi5, Jul 26, 2010.

1. Jedi5 macrumors 6502

Jedi5

Alright, I know Audocity on a PC but for the life of me, I can't figure out Audocity for Mac.

Right now, Audocity is recording using the microphone.
    How I change the settings so it doesn't record off the mircrophone?

I'm using external speakers... not sure if that makes a difference.

Trying to record music off Youtube is all.

Help?

2. Makosuke macrumors 603

Normally, you just select the desired sound input from either the Preferences or the drop-down near sound levels at the top of the window.

However, it sounds like you're trying to record off internal sound--grabbing YouTube audio. Which is not, technically, an audio input--you want to record audio OUT.

To my knowledge, to do that you'll need one of the many shareware (or probably freeware) apps designed for redirecting audio from output to a file or other internal audio recorder. Searching for "record audio" or something similar on VersionTracker.com or MacUpdate.com should come up with a bunch of options.

3. Jedi5 thread starter macrumors 6502

Jedi5

I've tried a few different apps out there and the ones I tried, all recorded from mic. Still can't find what I'm looking for.

I googled and went back to the audocity help and I keep reading of soundflower to use with AC.

I tried using soundflower with AC and could get no audio whatsoever.

Someone using SF with AC help me out as to what settings I should be using?

4. zeemeerman2 macrumors 6502

You can even use other apps not made for recording sound like you want.

For example: Snapz Pro X
    It's a screen recording app much like QuickTime X* does.

From my knowledge, in the app, you can record video, and sound from your audio output, and from your mic. (As options are shown.)
    [​IMG]

Eventually, after your recording session, you have the option to choose your compression.
    [​IMG]

Just toggle off "Include video track" (which is odd for a video recording app's purpose) and you're good to go.

* I'm still using regular Leopard, can't share info about QuickTime X whether it does the same or not. ;)