Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

oldmacuser77

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 15, 2014
Hi, I have a mini mac 10.11.6 and trying to download Audacity and it says "can't be opened because it is from an unidentified developer." Your security preferences allow installation of only apps from the mac app store and identified developers. When I go to my System Preferences, click on the security, allow apps downloaded from it is faded and won't let me change it. How or what do I have to do to use Audacity? thanks

willmtaylor

macrumors G4
Oct 31, 2009
Here(-ish)
Hi, I have a mini mac 10.11.6 and trying to download Audacity and it says "can't be opened because it is from an unidentified developer." Your security preferences allow installation of only apps from the mac app store and identified developers. When I go to my System Preferences, click on the security, allow apps downloaded from it is faded and won't let me change it. How or what do I have to do to use Audacity? thanks
Does this help?
https://support.apple.com/kb/PH21769?locale=en_US

Reactions: Weaselboy

Dave Braine

macrumors 68040
Mar 19, 2008
Warrington, UK
I take it that you ticked the "Open from anywhere" option? Not necessarily a good thing. Better to use the method in willmtaylor's link. Then you are making a conscious effort to open an unproven download.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.