CarPlay Audi / CarPlay issues

Discussion in 'HomeKit, HomePod, CarPlay, Home & Auto Technology' started by alFR, Feb 6, 2018.

1. alFR macrumors 68020

I've got a 2016 A4 that I'm trying to use with CarPlay and my iPhone X via USB connection. It works most of the time, but occasionally I get random bugs:
    • Phone seems to connect (shows CarPlay screen) but MMI shows that there is no compatible device connected.
    • Phone seems to connect and MMI screen shows the CarPlay controls for audio, but when you play audio it comes out of the phone speakers not the car.
    I've tried using different USB ports & different cables, no difference. Phone is updated to latest version of iOS 11. Anyone else had / solved similar? Anyone know if there's an MMI update available that fixes it? Haven't had time to go to the dealer to check and calling them is a waste of time, they always tell you to come in...

2. Newtons Apple macrumors Core

Newtons Apple

My Q7 is working perfectly. Check to see if there is an update available through MMI.

3. AustinIllini macrumors G3

AustinIllini

I see both of these on my 2017 A4. Usually the latter. Honestly, I'm just happy it works at all, and I'm more than willing to just unplug and replug the device in. It always works the second time for me. I have heard horror stories from other manufacturers where the connection doesn't work at all.

4. alFR thread starter macrumors 68020

Thanks, glad it's not just me! You're right, it's not a major issue, just a bit annoying. Mine is due for servicing in a couple of months so I'll see if they update the software then.

5. AustinIllini macrumors G3

AustinIllini

I had a loaner A4 at one point and CarPlay didn't work at all :(

6. kmanmx macrumors 6502

Hey, I know you said you tried different cables, but was one of them an official Apple Lightning cable ? As part of my job I probably setup and provision 100+ smartphones and tablets a month, mainly Samsung and Apple. The amount of times I was having a problem with something, only for to it work properly with the official cables, is pretty high! Even high quality 3rd party cables have been temperamental in my experience.

7. alFR thread starter macrumors 68020

Actually, no: I tried the Audi-supplied one and a Belkin 20cm one I have, but not the official Apple one. Will try that and report back.

8. AustinIllini macrumors G3

AustinIllini

Yeah, I don't think that makes a difference. audiworld.com has a fairly active collection of A4 owners (I find I prefer it to Audizine, which tends to be a little more gear-head centric)

9. seanmac82 macrumors newbie

Same for my 2017 A3. Did it get better after your MMI update?