Audio Advise shooting video

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by milligan, Sep 7, 2010.

1. milligan macrumors member

I have a Canon Vixia HF200.
    I thought the Canon Mic DM100 would solve all my audio problems, but just did a sound test and its heartbreakingly bad.
    I have covered the mic with a fleece wind sock. (K Tek)

I want to film a guy talking in a garden, there is a road quite near by.
    I had Mic attenuator off (not sure what this does) the problem is that when i set the mic level hi enough to hear him well, there is all this additional noise,
    its not being made by people its just noise through out the whole recording.
    I've got the mic set on shot gun, and camera quite near the subject, but it sounds crap. Did I get the wrong mic? Would I be better with a lavelier mic?
    I got the mic on ebay so i have no manual........... am I missing something????

2. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

For recording someone talking, yes. A shotgun mic attached to the camera is only really good for picking up ambient noise.

Lethal

3. milligan thread starter macrumors member

Rats! Can anyone recommend the best wireless lav mic to use?
    Cost is an issue, but I dont want to compromise quality. Will need wireless.
    Thanks

4. milligan thread starter macrumors member

Lethal Woolf thanks for your help. I see you are in L.A. I'm in Santa Monica. Got any leads on good used gear???? Thanks!

5. martinX macrumors 6502a

martinX

Love my Sonys. Absolutely rock solid and can take a line-in as well, which is handy in my line of work. The receiver has an XLR connector but doesn't require power so you just need an XLR to 3.5mm adaptor like this one. I haven't used it like that but it should work.

I have one of those Canon mics at home for my HFS10 and the best that can be said of it is that it's better than the onboard mic. With the dead kitten on it, it gets funny comments too :)

6. wonderspark macrumors 68030

wonderspark

I rent lav mics when I need them for a shoot, but don't have my own, like now. (Used to have four sets of sweet Lectrosonics.) You can find them in film/video rental houses for pretty cheap. I've seen daily rental prices as low as $20. It'll get you out of a pinch if you need something quick.

Back on topic, you should *always* use a lav if you're shooting out in traffic... unless the traffic noise is supposed to be in the audio. You'll still hear it, but it will be dramatically reduced.

7. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

Unfortunately not. I'm on the post side of things. There is always craigslist. ;)

Lethal

8. matteusclement macrumors 65816

matteusclement

Rent

if there is a long and mcquade near you or some other music rental store, then renting is the way to go. I have a seinhausser G3 wireless (800+ tax) and it is FREAKING sweet.

there are ones on ebay for 80 bucks that you may want to chance. they are not seinhausser though. :D

9. martinX macrumors 6502a

martinX

Before I got my second Sony wireless at work , I tried to use an Azden WMS-PRO that was around. Terrible. Just hisssssssssss.

I got the OK to get an additional Sony on that basis alone. Soon after, I found a second Azden in the office that looked like it hadn't been used much at all. Since we had a new Sony, I took this Azden home to give it a go on the Canon, but it was just as bad as the other one. Damn thing wasn't even worth stea----- errr, borrowing from work. :D

10. martinX macrumors 6502a

martinX

A quick comparison of built-in versus shotgun versus wireless lavalier.

11. Paratel macrumors 6502

Paratel

Turn the Mic Attenuator on!! it alleviates some of the background noise.

12. milligan thread starter macrumors member

thanks

Thanks guys this info has been really helpful.

And thanks Paratel “Mic Attenuator on” certainly made a big difference.

But it looks like I’m going to have to find some $$$. MartinX those Sonys are what I want!
    I can rent at Sammys for about $40 till I get the cash. But hate renting as its $$ down the drain.
    Thanks again everyone

13. milligan thread starter macrumors member

Hi...... I have done huge research since posting here and talked to an old sound guy friend.
    Your Sonys come out tops. I've ordered some. Can't wait !Thanks